beaten earth floors

hoverfrog

Not strictly "house" renovations, but I couldn't think of a suitable alternative!

With a beaten earth floor, how does one go about repairing it?

In my case I'm thinking about the barn floor - so I'm not going to dig it up and concrete, or any such thing! It's just a bit more worn in some places than others, and I'd like it flatter so I can jack the car up on it.

These floors are almost indestructible - but over the years the wear is uneven, especially where animals or vehicules are involved. How did they make them like that, and how can I renovate it?

I have a similar floor in my stables. Brilliant.  I get the impression that clay was used (if you dig down about a foot in my garden, the clay is just beautiful - I reckon you could make pots from it if you had the skill) originally and then just tamped down and it has hardened over the years.  Thus my guess is that what you need is clay to fill the "dents" and then roll it down and let it harden naturally.  But this is just an impression.  How you go about getting it and dealing with it is another thing.

I love terre battu floors and would never concrete over one in say a cave as that is just asking for damp problems.

I cant help much regarding jacking up a car other than to say that it will do far more damage to the floor than is already there. You might consider levelling and covering one small area for this purpose, I have in the past used ali chequer plate in my garage that had a very weak and dusty concrete floor.

For the ultimate under barefoot experience nothing beats a freshly laid cow muck floor, I stayed in a native rondavel in the Transkei that had just had a new floor spread in my honour[:D] it was a bit smelly to start with but definitely the best ever floor covering IMHO and one that perfectly suited the climate together with the mud/straw/cow poo walls and straw roof.

Progress is not always parpaing, concrete floors and tole bac acier.

I am just about to concrete floor a cave and do not anticipate having a damp problem. I have however factored for a reduced level dig and hadcore below along with studded membrane around the periphery to permit moisture to travel up and down the walls the way it has done for years. without affecting what will become my kitchen.

Clay can shrink and crack dependent upon its plasticity index so having some cow poo in there likely would help. I would simply use a tamping iron to beat the repairs into situ.

thanks for the replies.

I can't get hold of cow poo, but clay might be possible if I dig down far enough!

The trolley jack and axle stands have made no impression on the existing floor, however as it slopes in two directions it's not ideal!

A tamping iron seems like the best bet for repairs.

• 5 years later...
Hi, I need some advice! We have just bought a small house near Mayenne, and are about to start renovating it. The attic (which we plan to turn into a bedroom) has a mud floor - terre battu? - which unfortunately is not level at all. It runs uphill about 30cms in 6m, so I need to sort this out. How easy are these floors to remove? I would love to leave it as it is, but it just wouldn't be practicable!