New roof over terrace

JandM

Not a roof terrace, but the tiled roof attached to the house that extends from just under the eaves outside a door or window. Fixed to the wall on the house side and held up often by oak uprights on the other. What's it called in French? You eat under it on warm days and balmy evenings.

Over the summer we decided that we need one (see above) and now I'm back in London I want to start researching costs, planning etc. But I've no idea what it's called in French, which makes internet searching a bit tricky. Actually I can't even think of a succinct term for it in English, which is absurd, because nearly all houses have one, except ours. They're so common it's like not knowing the word for a garden shed. Can someone help?

[quote user="sid"]I'm with Andy, it would be an "abri terrasse" in our area. An "auvent" would be for a porch canopy, the fan-shaped ones being called "auvent marquise".

Not being pedantic, but... ![/quote]

Googling about it looks relatively the same thing......

but.....the OP wanted a tiled wooden structure that extends from an entrance. For me that is an 'Auvent'. An 'abri' would fit if it was not from an entrance and on the side of a building for car or something. No being pedantic, but !...

I might be wrong....I very rarely am.

"Auvent de Terrace" seems to be the thing although generally they do not have a tiled room, mainly plastic. Another thing you could look at is a "Pavillon" which is normally a free standing unit made of wood with a tiled roof. Joint together the two and perhaps a "Pavillon de Terrace" might be what your looking for although formwhat you described I can't find anything like what you want. I think the latter is the description you want along with a uilder to make it for you.

That said I did find this http://www.bosset-batiments.com/auvents.php which perhaps could be adapted.

Appentis -

'Un toit en appentis ou toit à un seul pan ou toit à pupitre est un toit à

une seule pente. L'arête supérieure constitue le faîte du toit. Des

deux côtés se trouvent les rives de toit. La partie inférieure forme un

avant-toit si le bord de toit déborde du mur. ...

Appentis Auvent or an abri is what you create if you like.

If it is created around an entrance it is an 'Auvent'.

So esentially in construction terms (if you are dealing with a French builder) you want them to build you an 'appentis'. What it becomes is up to you.

I've googled all the suggested terms and they've all thrown up similar sets of images. So now I'm spoilt for choice in the terms I use. Thanks to everyone for the help.

In fact I'm not looking for builders, but plans and materials costs as we're going to build it ourselves.

As a follow up, anyone got any advice, warnings, (accusations of reckless stupidity)?

There is a cheeky way round that and getting permission if your not replacing an existing one like for like. Simply make it so it is not attached to the house, is bolted together and keep it under 25m2. It then is classed as a temporary/demountable structure, it can be taken down at any time. If you look at my website and the terrace I constructed thats how I got round asking for any permisson. I even got the mayor to come and have a look just in case and he was happy enough. If of course you are replacing like for like, or near enough that you have to look hard to see the difference from the original and it is on the same footprint then just build it.