White appliance paint

Angie

The door of our new fridge freezer has acquired a number of rust spots as a result, I think, of humidity while we were away from the house and my usage of bleach sprays to clean the kitchen (apparently these sprays should not be used on white goods). I know you can buy white appliance paint in a spray can but it will be messy if I use that in the kitchen (don't really want to have to lug the thing outside). In the UK you can buy this type of paint in a tin and apply with a roller. I understand it gives a better and more even finish. Does anyone know if this is available in France and if so, can I get it one of the Bricos? Thank you

The stuff is called anti rouille. Flat white Hammerite would also do the job and it can go over rust as long as the loose stuff is removed. Sanding it down to the metal would do it.

If I were doing that then I would take the door off and do it outside because if you use Hammerite inside you won't need ant booze afterwards [:-))][+o(]

It dries very quickly and if you tape some plastic sheet over the freezer opening it should be OK?

It's never going to look good whatever paint you use, It will always be a different shade of white to the rest of the appliance, but I can understand your wish to get rid of the rust.

Just thinking of alternatives, could you use white sticky backed plastic?   Still have the issue with the colour being not quite right but it could be cheaper/easier?

I had the same problem with a freezer, albeit a 25-year-old Philips unit that still runs flawlessly. I sanded back the rust spots to bare metal, sprayed on metal primer and finished off with two coats of spray-on white appliance paint. Looks fine.

Some judicious masking avoided any over-spray. Even an A4 sheet of card moved around in tandem with your spraying can be enough. I suspect it would be more difficult to achieve as good a finish with a paint roller, but could be wrong.

Make sure the rust isn't coming through from the back of the metal. If it is, I'd be inclined to write the fridge off.

If you google "fridge decals" or "fridge stickers" there are a number of options to cover/disguise the rust without having to resort to paint, which might not give you the most satisfactory finish. Might not be your taste, but there are loads to choose from, and I'm sure ther must be something that is better than ending up with a not very satisfactory paint job.

If used with a good quality foam roller specifically for gloss finishes - they sell these in the diy places a small one will be fine, they are about 6 inches long - the finish quality is surprisingly good - easily as good as a proper spray job.

A client asked me to colour their white goods so I tinted the white appliance paint to the shade they wanted and rollered them all in situ as they were too tight to pay for me to take them outside and the freezer was full and plenty of other excuses. Anyway, it went a lot better than I had expected.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]I would go with Betty's sticker idea...after sorting out the rust problem. That is a top tip.

Painting it could easily become a nightmare.[/quote]

Just the sort of idea people with no practical skills come up with and those running the Country!  Why are those people in charge? It's like Camermoron appearing on a building site trying to lay a brick, why bother you're bound to be crap at at. So stickers is will be then, maybe under every GB sticker there are rust holes [:D]

Dear Mr Teapot.

During this week, I have re-made a set of lined and interlined curtains, assisted Mr Betty to install a chimney liner, made several ceramic pots by hand, re-upholstered a chair seat, converted a tote bag into a cushion cover for son#2. I can paint, hang wallpaper, re-cane chairs, make silicone moulds and re-cast gesso frames on antique mirrors, use a wide range of power tools, knit, crochet and cook. I'm about to start work on shopfitting a popup shop (with friends) from scratch, using only reclaimed pallets..did it last year, too, and we won acclaim from the local retail association.

So yeah, that's just the sort of answer that someone with no practical skills would suggest.?

Betty, I can only drop my jaw in admiration, not least because I myself can't do at least half of those things at all and none of those things really well.

I just want to ask you one question:  are you wearing two of your homemade silicone moulds when you had your picture taken for your avatar?

My friend's grandkids (adults) repainted her fridge. It was when I saw the results that I investigated fridge stickers. It's a kindness.

Incidentally, our bathroom in France has a unit around the washbasin -massive thing - which was cat-sick pink, as were the bathroom tiles. They're all now white, thanks to tile paint, melamine paint AND fablon. The cupboard doors got the fablon. It's been stuck on there for about five years or more and still looks immaculate. The melamine paint and tile paint are still fine, and adhering to all the surfaces, but they've all yellowed quite a lot compared to the still-White fablon.

Just saying.

They'd be a bit oddly shaped and rather uncomfortable, mint. Especially as they were negative moulds...to produce a convex moulding..so the moulds would be concave. I could have cast myself a décolletage, but then I would have ended up with a couple of right-angled floral sprays. Maybe not the look. Clashes with the facial hair. ?

Thank you everyone for your more than helpful suggestions. It definitely is just surface rust so think I will still try the roller for repainting as the fridge/freezer is sited between 2 kitchen units and from what I've been told its quite easy to spray everything in sight with these cans of paint and also quite difficult to get an even finish. It really is a shame as its a relatively new appliance and is very stylish. If the rollered finish looks rubbish them I will definitely opt for the decal/stickers. My granddaughter will probably be able to help with these!

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]Dear Mr Teapot. During this week, I have re-made a set of lined and interlined curtains, assisted Mr Betty to install a chimney liner, made several ceramic pots by hand, re-upholstered a chair seat, converted a tote bag into a cushion cover for son#2. I can paint, hang wallpaper, re-cane chairs, make silicone moulds and re-cast gesso frames on antique mirrors, use a wide range of power tools, knit, crochet and cook. I'm about to start work on shopfitting a popup shop (with friends) from scratch, using only reclaimed pallets..did it last year, too, and we won acclaim from the local retail association. So yeah, that's just the sort of answer that someone with no practical skills would suggest.?[/quote]

Sounds like an average day if your a bloke. [;-)]

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]Been busy with your sewing machine, have you, Quillan? ?[/quote]

Bit sexist that Betty. Actually I have no problem with them and have made curtains (with and without linings), bed spreads, quilt covers, cushions etc but no dresses although I have re hemmed one or two for Mrs 'Q'. Must admit I can't crochet but I can knit and darn, the latter I learnt in the first year of being in the RAF. It was learn to darn of go round with holes in your socks. I did once own a knitting machine but found it is not that good, knitting by hand is much better and quite easy. Did you know that Roger Moore was quite a knitter, quite renown for it in knitting circles. Of course the first sowing machine was invented by a couple of English men, I suspect they needed to know a bit about sowing to build one. Apart from child birth there is nothing that a woman can do that a man can't. [:D]

Oh and whilst I don't have an overlocking (or overcaste machine) I can do it with a zigzag stitch. If you need to know how just ask and I will be happy to explain how to do it. It really isn't that difficult although going round 90 deg corners can be a problem for beginners.

Spray painting can be done to a very good finish especially with 2 pack aérosols but it is a skill that takes a long time to acquire and I can only get a decent finish thanks to years of car spraying like Dave2148.

Overspray will get everywhere, doing it outside will result in dust and insect contamination, a spray booth needs extraction Equipment and breathing apparatus, the best edomestic nvironment for spraying and drying is a bathroom because the humidity keeps the dust down but do you want overspray and paint fumes in yours?

Most peoples first attempts are a complete abortion probably because they mimic what they see of the Muppets playing to the cameras on TV makeover programs who think that spraying is like polishing a window, the slightest defect on a fridge door would stand out like one on a car bonnet, you will need to spray the whole door and the freezer one as well if applicable because without the correct paint code one can never match white paint, there are millions of hues and they stand out against each other in a way that no other colour does.

I would plump for the roller or the Fablon suggestion, both of which I have used to good effect in the past, my sister is supremely competent with Fablon on kitchen cupboards, she gives her place a relooking on a regular basis, I did the fridge and other surfaces in my caravan because they were garish 1980's colours and démodé.

Quillan, sweetie, my comment was no more sexist than your original one!

I'm a textile technologist by training, so if we are having a p***ing contest, I can also operate an industrial weaving loom, spinning machine, carding machine and knitting machine (not the inky-dinky little ones that you get at home) and once upon a time I could shear a sheep, and as my mum was a fashion designer I got my first sewing machine aged seven.

I always thought Roger Moore earned his reputation as a knitwear model, rather than knocking up his own cardies... Although apparently Laurence Fishburn and Russell Crowe can knit a lovely matinee coat.