notice of intent from neighbour to alter exterior wall

Keelstow

what notice should I have received, if any, before our neighbour was allowed to add three windows to a wall overlooking our house.

Previously the wall was without any windows just one door. Am I right to think one needs some sort of approval before these changes are made and that the property adjoining should be consulted?

martin

It depends. In principle, if the windows are ones that don't open and the glass is obscured, then no notice at all. If the windows open, they give a view directly into (or onto) your property, then they shouldn't have had permission to do it at all...depending, I think, on how close their property is to yours.

I've been through this, as it happened to us, and I was surprised not to have been advised (if not consulted) at least as a courtesy. Turns out they are under no obligation to even tell you.

However, you could still have recourse if they have done this without the required permissions, assuming that permission was required (which should be the case). That said, if the criteria I mentioned above aren't relevant to your situation (particularly in respect of distance from your property) then you're probably just going to have to accept it.

There are all sorts of caveats to this, such as whether the windows open, how far, and how high off the ground the Windows are, whether or not your neighbour can see into your property through the Windows, etc., etc..

Sorry for the random caps. Surprised an iPad automatically makes Windows into a proper noun...

[quote user="You can call me Betty"] Sorry for the random caps. Surprised an iPad automatically makes Windows into a proper noun...[/quote]

That is something that has been driving me mad with my computer since changing to Windows 7 (cap not intended) it does it to complete random words like Worth and loads of others that of course I cannot think of at the moment.

What is a proper noun anyway and why would it be capitalised?

Does anyone know how I can stop the fecking machine capitalising letters that I cannot see with my narrow field of vision, it does it after I have typed the next few words, when I searched before it was something to do with having Windows in one language (mine is French) having the spellcheck in that language (I do) but writing in another language, it only seemed to be happening to people not in their home country, I cant recall the exact détails but all the sufferers were in the same situation as myself.

It really is driving me mad having to check all my outgoing E-mails for random inserted capital letters.

I had noticed it did it with France so thought it might be that, Worth is a village near me in sussex but sussex doesnt capitalise neither does wrotham or jonathan woss [:D] in ross on Wye only the Wye.

Does it really know or think that a name I made up myself, chancer is a proper noun? as it has capitalised it before but wont now I want it to!

How did they manage to put three windows in without having access to your property ????

Anyway, as said if they don't conform/not been granted permission for the work then they will have take them out and re-brick the wall up. Need to have a chat with your Mary.

If they can actually see into your property then they would have needed your permission which obviously you would have rejected.

I think its safe to assume they would have got permission from the Mairie for any external work.

what bothers me is the lack of consultation from there onwards which indicates one has little say in what goes on here in France compared to the UK.

to be fair we have a good neighbour, no problem, but they could easily move on leaving a lousy one too overlooking our place

[quote user="Chancer"]

I had noticed it did it with France so thought it might be that, Worth is a village near me in sussex but sussex doesnt capitalise neither does wrotham or jonathan woss [:D] in ross on Wye only the Wye.

Does it really know or think that a name I made up myself, chancer is a proper noun? as it has capitalised it before but wont now I want it to!

[/quote]

For what it's worth, Chance, here is Worth which I believe is French originally[:D]

[url]http://www.perfume.com/worth/je-reviens/women-perfume[/url]

Don't know about a village but Worthing is a seaside town in West Sussex!

I don't expect this link is clickable, but if not , just type it in on Google.:

http://www.french-property.com/guides/france/building/planning/permission/openings-in-buildings/

You will see there are very complicated and variable regs. in the situation you describe.

The trouble is, if you find that your neighbour has breached the regs, it will probably cost you a fortune to get them to put it right.

If the works need a permis de construire the Maire has to publicise the plans and people have 2 months (?) to raise objections; But with this case, only a declaration de travaux seems to be needed, in which case no publication.

As I said, distance is a big factor, but even that doesn't oblige any consultation. My neighbour's (their house is actually round the corner from mine, but its back wall forms part of our garden wall) stuck three glass bricks in their wall which was horrible,mbecause to do it they cut through three niches in the existing, beautiful old wall. Not a peep from them at an stage, and they're not French but German. I only make that point to underline that advising the neighbour's seems perhaps peculiarly British.

Incidentally, all the work was done without anyone setting foot on our property..until I made their builders come round and do the making good and tidying up on our side...great stalactites of mastic hanging down, etc.

And the windows were nothing...they had to put a new supporting beam in their downstairs ceiling, and to do so they pierced a hole in our barn wall..again, not a peep from anyone. Mind you, we got off lightly. The other end of the beam went through the wall in their other neighbour's' house, and those neighbour's discovered a large hole behind their wardrobe...

Apologies this time for those feral apostrophes. Life is too short to go back and remove what my spellcheck has randomly inserted despite me not typing them in the first place.

They also had their garage re roofed and as the configuration of their garage and ours means that their garage roof extends over the apex of ours, I awoke one morning, went into the bathroom and flung open the windows, only to see two hairy-bottomed roofers straddling the roof a matter of a few feet away...no pre-warning or a "do you mind". Good job I wasn't in my birthday suit.

On the plus side, their builders invited me in to see the renovations whilst they were in progress, and I reckon that very soon all this will comeback to bite them on the bum. I may not be Bob the Builder, but I reckon having plaster boarded the walls before screeding the floor, so that the plasterboard is sitting on bare earth could just be a recipe for a world of pain.

I do hope so, anyway.....

[quote user="You can call me Betty"] I was suitably covered in my 5€ age 9 dressing gown. [/quote]

Gosh, and I thought that I was tiny [:)] ... in my age 11-12 dressing gown from Next, bought in their sale at £9 ie 60% off.

Sue