Free standing stud wall?

woolybanana

It has been decided that there will be a small free standing wall between the entrance and the main room, to give a transition point for those visiting and to act as a backdrop for some pretty decorations.

This structure would be, say, seven feet high-ish leaving a gap of a foot or so to the ceiling, and would be up to three metres long.

Given that it would be unsupported at the end and the top, would it be possible to use a stud wall rather than brick which is a fag? It would be plasterboard panels on metal 'scaffolding' bits( the wider ones would look better, one thinks), finished with decorative wood planks.

Any thoughts svp?

Unsupported at the top and one end is a disaster waiting to happen WB. When you invite Norman round and he's had to much of the falling over liquid as he's leans against the "wall" it will beat him in the race to the floor. Why not fix it  to the ceiling but just leave large gaps along the length. So three fixings, one on the wall end , one in the middle one on the end. Metal is good wider the better, Use two thickness's of plaster board  each side, solid. Wood planks? bit seventies. Insulate behind the plaster board to stop the "empty sound" when anybody taps the wall. You could disguise the fixings above the wall to look like thin Oak beams. Good luck.

Thank you, Nick, good advice I am sure. You are right that every home has to be Norman proofed. What worries me is his chariot that would flatten anything in sight and given his frequently weaving pattern is quite likely.

Maybe I'll have to think of getting it bricked instead.

Hang on, hang on, whoever invited the old grunter to their home?

Apparently he has been contacting David Cameron to find out how to invest in the Nicobar Islands, and Jermy Corbyn to find out how to fill out a tax form correctly.

You could IKEA 'hack'....i.e buy a commode, biblotheque or whatever and build a structure around it to make it look built in. The weight of the furniture would keep it relatively in place and you could have shelving or whatever on one side if you like.

http://www.ikea.com/fr/fr/catalog/products/10275857/#/30275861

[quote user="NickP"]Unsupported at the top and one end is a disaster waiting to happen WB.  [/quote]

Absolutely, needs a "weight" at the top of the wall to steady it.  You could demonstrate by holding a book on its edge and then a book with your hand on the top and notice the difference to its stability.

ALBF's suggestion is quite a good one though could be fiddly and needs some skill (not sure about your level of skill) to be sure of a satisfactory result.

Hard to say without knowing the size and feel of the room.  But I might be tempted to buy a really beautiful screen (paravent de l'interieur) real wood and carvings or metal of blacksmith's creation to put there.  Then you get the decoration and the visible division you are after all in one fell swoop.  No need for you to get off your behind to do any work or indeed pay for work to be done.

It's not necessarily a cheaper option as I envisage a very GRAND screen but it does mean that you could take it with you should you move.

• 2 weeks later...
How about double thickness full height, both sides lined with OSB Pre plasterboard this will allow the cutting in or various deep niches to allow ornaments to be stowed and light to get through.

You could even glaze these on one side if draughts are an issue. It will look like a big solid modern monolith but in reality just be studwork.