Sealing a powdery wall

Ian

One wall of a storeroom I've created was an outside wall. It's covered in old, soft enduit, with occasional patches of efflorescence.

Now it's an internal wall, and I'd like to give it a quick coat or two of emulsion, but I know that won't last long.

Is there anything available here that I could paint on, that would stabilise and seal the wall, before I paint it?

Thanks

It sounds like it is still an outside wall, solid brick/stone/parpaing no internal skin or insulation, is that so?

If so then you will always have damp problems, in fact they become worse when one side is external and the other internal/enclosed.

I have exactly the same situation in my laverie, I lined the Inside with 2cm extruded polystyrene insulation then sprayed it with crepi, the result is superb, a lovely clean textured surface, warm and very resistant, its what they do to the outside panels on a Haufhaus.

Theière can attest to how well it turned out!

Hi Chancer, thanks for the reply. I explained the situation badly.

It's the dividing wall between the house and the garage (coachhouse originally). The usual construction of rubble skins with rubbish in between. The garage side is covered in the old, loose enduit I mentioned. In the garage space, I have built a room against the dividing wall. It's built on a concrete slab - the three new walls are aircrete blocks.

I want to give the inside of the room a couple of coats of emulsion, mainly to keep the dust down. Easy enough on the three new walls, but I can see a problem with the old wall. I've thought about a lime wash/PVA mixture, but I'm not sure that would work.

Cheers

I was thinking of the same idea, to stabilise the loose enduit. What I'm not sure of is whether the water-based emulsion paint would dissolve it again?

Maybe I could give it a coat of oil-based paint to seal it, before the emulsion. I think I have some Dulux undercoat lying around.

??

Cheers

Some years ago we used PVA to seal a very dusty stone wall and it worked a treat. No more dust and the wall looks just the same. We did not however go to the hassle of painting it on - we used a pump garden sprayer and sprayed.  Wonderful, easy and incredibly quick - not much good for the sprayer though...

We want to do another wall but having brought the original PVA from the Uk (we brought it over on our final trip before living here) we are not sure exactly which product to buy here in France.  We have been told "colle de bois" but that seems to be thick like a paste so no good.  Any tips please?

Good luck anyway to the OP - dusty walls are a nightmare.

Well, I couldn't lay my hands on any PVA, but a friend gave me a container of Sikalatex - "Resine pour l'adherence et l'etancheite de mortiers". He said his tilers used it on a dusty surface.

So, I used that (diluted 1:2), then painted over.

I'll tell you in 6 months time if the paint is still on...

Thank for all the suggestions.

Cheers

Ian wrote

Well, I couldn't lay my hands on any PVA, but a friend gave me a container of Sikalatex - "Resine pour l'adherence et l'etancheite de mortiers".

Ian

PVA in France is generally sold as "Colle Blanche"

Reading the Silkalatex SDS suggests that it too is PVA* - so you did exactly as suggested, even if you did not realise at the time.

* Description SikaLatex® is an acrylic-polymer latex.