Brico Question...Small Partition Wall !!!! Help.

Ok, I need to build a small partition wall (I think that is what it is called) and need some ideas.

Imagine a cathedral type room with sloping combes/walls and exposed beams. Loverly.

I need to build a small L shaped wall (2m max) that will only be attached to the side wall (vertical) and the slope (angle) and of course the floor...but not the ceiling...obviously. The length of the wall will be about 2.5 m and the L shaped bit about 70 cms.

It will be a stud wall and plcao..ed....so it will be relatively heavy !!!!

Now the floor is wooden....and I don' really want to drill into it. I can screw the baton for the placo into the side wall and slope but I DON'T WANT TO attach it to the floor.

Inside the 'L' (think about it) will be a rangement caisson which is quite heavy...which will be attached to the wall. So the whole structure will be already be quite heavy...so should not move on the floor....if that make s sense.

So, is there any point screwing it into the floor. Can I simply use silcone (transparent) for the batton on the floor so it does not slide. The flooring is floating !!!! and the surface area is quite large. Screwing it into a 'floating' floor (and concrete surface beneath it) is not a great idea.

Any suggestions (given you have understood what I have said) would be appreciated.

Screwing it into a 'floating' floor (and concrete surface beneath it) is not a great idea.

Says who? The person who does not know how to fix a partition?

If you intended removing the partition further down the line and wanted to avoid the fixing holes then perhaps I understand but we are talking wood which can easily be filled or plugged with the same material, the fixings for the bottom rail dont need to be substantial, I use no 8 screws and red plugs or 5mm hammer fixings into my tommettes floating on sand.

Is the person that claims to be experienced in French rénovations and to know all the mistakes that Brits make really going to put up a cloison without any fixings top or bottomebecause he does not know how to put a screw into wood?

And you sermonise about ex-pat builders................................

I am gifted when it comes to renovations.....you know that chancer.

I will 'lightly screw it' into the floor so the wall floats with the parquet.

Screwing a 'floating' parquet into the base floor defeats the object of a floating parquet...I guess. Would it not buckle with differences of temperature ?????

I was just thinking is there another way of doing this.

PS... please don't turn this into a Brexit thread. LOL

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]

I will 'lightly screw it' into the floor so the wall floats with the parquet.

Thats the answer as it will not reach the ceiling

Screwing a 'floating' parquet into the base floor defeats the object of a floating parquet...I guess.

Yes but sometimes according to the surface you may not be able to make a fixing in the floor, using hammer drive fixings will allow you to fix into the solid floor underneath whilst leaving the floating one free to float.

I have tommetes over sand over a concrete cellar floor, arguably they are floating, I can get a red plug to hold if I am lucky but if not then I make a clearance hole then drill down through into the concrete slab and either use a hammer drive or chemical anchor as appropriate, in both cases the tiled floor or the floating floor in your case is not restrained.

[/quote]

I understand what you mean Chancer.

My question is rather (given the height/size of the wall) to build a 'fixed' partition that screws directly into the floor & sub floor or build basically a piece of furniture that sits on top of it...if you know what I mean. Think IKEA showrooms.

Remember the caisson for the rangement forms part of the structure. The L shaped partition with the caisson attached is going nowhere. I just need to stop it from sliding under pressure.

With my idea, it solves the problem with the floating parquet and if someone in the future wishes to change the flooring.

I have thought about this for months and in 3 weeks time it will be built. Not sure which idea to go for. Both have pros and cons.