My neighbour insists I remove a partition wall built 13 years ago!

redrobin

I bought a ground floor

flat in an ancient house which was divided into two flats. Another resident bought the first floor flat at about the same time as me. Thirteen years ago I carried out some

building work, which involved constructing a small partition wall in the

communal entrance with a verbal agreement from my neighbour upstairs. She was happy that I did this work until I put the flat for sale and then she insisted that I take down the

partition. Can anyone tell me if she has the right to do this after

all this time?

From those handling your sale or legal professional - I'm not an expert, unlike ALBF!!,

Isn't there a law somewhere that says that you must identify disputes with neighbors. There certainly is in the UK but don't know about France.

Must admit though, salespeople are sometimes very convincing so be careful.

The estate agent may be able to give you advice from an aesthetic point of view.

You say it's an “ancient” house. Maybe the upstairs flat owner thinks the partition has turned out to be a bit of an eyesore, and is hoping for the chance to get it changed.

I think the notaire acting for the person who buys your house has to check that permission was obtained for any alterations .
But interior changes don't usually need permission.
Best to have a chat with a notaire yourself - if you're selling you should have one anyway.

The 13 years of passive condoning might be significant.