Termite treatment

Alanc

The product Xylophene has been recommended to me as an effective treatment for termites which have been found in a couple of beams in an out building. Having bought a huge can of the stuff I now find that the substance is too thick to pass through the spray equipment I intend using.

Can it be thinned down, if so how? Is there an alternative treatment which has the consistencyof water ? I need to act quickly as I leave for the UK at the end of next week and won't enjoy the festivities with the thought of these creatures munching their way through my beams, lurking at the back of my mind.

I used an ordinary garden pump up sprayer very sucessfully. It held 3 litres and sprayed a fine mist very well.  Cost about €8 from a Brico shed (Leroy Merlin?)

If all else fails you could brush it on.

Not wishing to be 'nanny' but you do have gloves/goggles/mask etc don't you?

I am not sure that Xylophene is very effective against termites. 

Termites eat deep into the wood and any spray is only going to soak into the first few centimetres at best.

Having used the product for wood worm, I have never found it to be thick and like Pierre a simple garden sprayer - with lots of safety gear worked well (make sure the mask is suitable for aerosols a simple dust mask does not work properly.   Could be that it is the water based solution and it is just too cold and is starting to freeze.

Thinning if you have to, should be as per the instructions on the tin - but simply, is you have the oil based solvent then white spirit shoudl do the trick, and if it is the water based one (which is in vogue due to VOCs) water should be OK.

Personally I would get the professionals in for termites.  I assume you have reported it to the maire at the mairie

Hi AlanC,

We are close to finalising the purchaes of our house in Brittany. Woodboring beatles have been found (not termites but longhorn, etc) so I have looked arounsd for info on treatment that I can carry out.

This link may be usful info for you

http://www.safeguardeurope.com/applications/woodworm.php

or

http://www.doityourselftermitecontrol.com/traditional.htm

Are you sure what you bought is not a gel?

Happy Terminating!

Jeff

I observe that termites are currently in Morbihan.

Vous avez pris connaissance de la présence de termites, quelles sont les obligations réglementaires ?

l'occupant ou à défaut le propriétaire doit faire une déclaration en mairie. Celle-ci doit préciser l'identification de l'immeuble et faire état des indices qui révèlent la présence de termites. Elle peut à cette fin être accompagnée d'un état parasitaire.

Le fait de ne pas effectuer cette déclaration en mairie est passible d'une amende de 3000 F (contravention de 3ème classe).
La présence d'autres insectes xylophages que les termites n'a pas à être déclarée en mairie.

Frankly dubious about the efficacity of penetration of any spray, dubious about your source of advice;

Termites access from the ground and always via a route not readily observed as they abhor the light.

So if you have for the case of an example termites in wooden roof beams, then they have probably accessed through the fabric of the stone walls.

If you think a bit of spray is going to solve your problem, well tyhe timber can be removed and burnt under control.

Not the end of story the remaining termites must be destroyed by "baiting" and barriers must be established to prevent further infestation.

The area in which you live may already be subject to mayoral or prefectural reglementation regarding termites.

Before purchasing what did your Diagnostique for Termites reveal.

Or did your termites arrive later.

Destruction of termites can result in megabuck expenditure.!!

Many thanks to those who posted a response to my original message. The local friendly artisan who originally identified the problem as termites ( and recommended xlyophene ) now thinks that the infestation may not be termites after all but rather some other wood munching insect. If what  pachapapa has said is correct about how termites access buildings/beams then my builder could be right. The area of the beams affected are peppered with tiny holes, something you see when woodworm is present. Unless of course these are exit holes but again this doesn't seem to fit with what pachapapa has said and he appears to know something about the subject.

As far as the product is concerned, yes it was gel, hence the problem. That's now been rectified ! The plan is to inject deep into the beams and not just spray the surface.

Did I have the property surveyed for the presence of unwelcome creatures ? Diificult when you buy a property which was originally  nothing more a pile of stones.

Small holes 2-3 mm suggest Vrilletes, two types one bigger than other, called death watch beetle due to knocking wood with head during mating season.

IMNVHO it is IMPOSSIBLE to eliminate by injection, just a waste of time but LUCRATIVE for RENTOKIL et Al.

The impregnated females live for short period in late spring and lay eggs in cracks and crevices in wood; a good superficial treatment of the surface will kill the eggs and fresh penetration of the wood is prevented. The larvae inside will live for up to two years so after three years the timber should be free of larvae.

If timber is old and irregular in shape the larvae will only bore in the softer outer wood and will not bother with the hard heart wood; the sharp knife penetration test will give an idea of the state of the timber.

In your case there seems to be infestation near the timber support at the wall, this is a focal area for damp to accumulate and damage the wood by causing dry rot, the softening of the wood will attract the attack of larvae.

By the way a female never lays eggs in an old hole, so old holes are the exit holes from previous occupation; in a word injecting old holes uses a lot of "xylo" but does not do much else.

If you have biggish holes it could be Lyctus (unlikely in old timber) or Capricorne ( they prefer soft resinous wood and dont like hard wood).

The Grande Capricorne, larvae 8 cms long will go for decayed timber; hence it 's full name Grande Capricorne de Chêne ( incidentally a protected species, so be gentle when you tread on it). 

• 9 years later...
For the better constructing, we need to keep in mind termite treatment its not unusual matters to occur in Australia and other nations. I will recommend them who are constructing new first touch to professional termite experts in your region and proper analysis of termites. I would be good for them in the future. An excellent suggestion I would love to share right here, The Termite experts provide termite services throughout the Sydney

• 5 years later...

Salut tout le monde,

J'espère que vous allez bien ! J'ai trouvé un article de blog fascinant qui parle de la lutte contre les termites et offre un aperçu détaillé des moyens de protéger nos maisons de ces ravageurs invisibles. Voici un extrait qui pourrait vous intéresser :

( Dans ce guide essentiel pour les propriétaires, nous explorons en profondeur les stratégies et les mesures préventives cruciales pour protéger efficacement votre maison contre les termites. Avec leur capacité destructrice redoutable, les termites peuvent causer des dommages considérables et coûteux à votre propriété, mais avec les bonnes connaissances et les actions appropriées, vous pouvez minimiser les risques d'infestation et maintenir votre maison en sécurité. De l'identification des signes précurseurs à l'adoption de méthodes de prévention durables et à la sélection des meilleurs professionnels pour lutter contre les termites, ce guide vous offre un aperçu complet pour garantir une protection robuste contre ces ravageurs insidieux

-Comment prévenir les infestations de termites dans votre propriété ?

-Quelles sont les méthodes naturelles pour éloigner les termites de votre maison ?

- Quelles sont les régions les plus à risque d'infestation de termites et comment s'en protéger ?)

Pour en savoir plus, n'hésitez pas à visiter le blog : ( https://fr.notermite.net/blogs/news/termite-protection-a-homeowner-s-guide-to-termite-success ) Protection contre les termites : guide du propriétaire pour une réussite anti-termites .
Cordialement.

Arthur

Edited by Arthur98