UK Credit Cards In France

Anton Redman

Does anybody know the up to date position. ?

I believe the major card issuers such as HSBC and RBS charge 2.5 % on UK credit card transactions, not just cash withdrawals, when used abroad. The charge is buried in the small print and lost when they calculate the sterling versus Euro. They used to display an exchange rate but translated at the rate plus a 2.5% charge

If you are spending say 2,000 a year in France, so one low value cross boarder transfer of 9 is a lot better than 50 in card commission.

We have not used our UK cards in France since we bought the French wreck so have no up to date items to check. Has anybody found one which is genuinely free and do not slug the exchange rate ?

Anton,
I've been using my RBS credit card in France (too!)regularly for the last few months and am not aware of any charges.
The last 5 transactions show that the average rate of exchange has been 1.525 /.
Haven't been keeping a very close eye on the rate since moving here. How does this compare?

Sue (Vienne - 86)

The Liverpool Victoria Friendly Society card has no additional charges when used abroad for goods and services and also offers a good exchange rate e.g. on 3 Oct it was 1.5904. Another useful feature is the photo ID on the reverse.

Contact no is 01202 758008.

Magie (79)

I'm not sure about credit cards but if you use a Nationwide debit card there are no transaction charges or interest charges.

I realise that you have to have the credit balances on your account in the UK but nevertheless there are not many Banks where no transactions charges are levied even if funds are on the account.

Mike.

• 2 months later...