~Opeining a french bank account

Azila

Can anybody tell me if there is a minimum amount needed to open a french bank account and what documents I would need to open one, as we have finally sold are property here and now have the means to buy something in France. Many thanks Azila

We're in the (slow) process of opening an account with CA Britline and their info pack gives a list of all the items required. The amount required to open was 150 euros - in travellers cheques. Some documentation needs to be certified.

Give yourself plenty of time before expecting the account to be up and running.

Passport

Two of either: Bank statement; tax document; mortgage statement; utility bill (not mobile); driving licence; rental contract.

Above must be certified

And: 2 months bank statements; bankers reference; evidence of income; proof of french purchase; minimum deposit of 150 euros.

Good luck

To open our Banque Populaire account in Oct 02 we needed

Passports - not certified

€500 in cash

Notaire's attestation that we had just bought a place in France

Bank man completed forms and then took the copies he needed - as we were not permies at the time we had a "non-resident" account with our English address on the cheques. When we left the GB ship we had to have a new, residents account with French address.

John

We opened an account with a branch of Credit Agricole with our passports, 3 months bank statements from uk bank (printed off the internet and, if you have no french one's, some uk utility bills. We did not pay any money in there and then, but my sister who lives nearby went and payed a small amount in when it was up and running because there are small charges to run the account.

[quote]There aren't any charges to run a basic account, although you would need money in it........ have you any idea what they have signed you up for that you would need to pay for.[/quote]

We have a cheque book and a debit card, for use mainly to be able to use 24 hour petrol while travelling. We pay 5.50 euros a month and I think my sister who lives there pays similar.

[quote]We have a cheque book and a debit card, for use mainly to be able to use 24 hour petrol while travelling. We pay 5.50 euros a month and I think my sister who lives there pays similar.[/quote]

Quote: There aren't any charges to run a basic account, although you would need money in it........ have you any idea what they have signed you up for that you would need to pay for.

Teamedup

As a UK resident who has had 'n' number of years to become used to the UK system re free debit and credit cards and totally free bank accounts etc I feel the French system might take some adjusting to. Could I ask, assuming you have a basic, no frills bank account, how you pay for petrol when there is no one at the kiosk at the supermarket petrol pumps? Last time I was caught out when we were due to return our hire car (they insist on a full tank of fuel, however inconvenient that may be for the hirer) I managed to persuade some kind young man to put some petrol in 'our' car with his french debit card and I gave him over-the-odds in francs to make up for inconveniencing him. I know all should be OK when we all have equal chip and pin cards, but we don't yet.

Sue

It really depends on what you want from your card. I take an international card, but frankly, as I haven't got the figures in front of me, I reckon that I don't pay more than around 40 euros a year for it. At 5.50 a month it is costing Jill3, 66 euros. I am curious as to what  they are offering for such a sum.

I believe that the national cards, simply for use in France, (that one can use at the pumps,) for example are far cheaper than the cards we take.

I would hesitate as to taking any sort of contract with any bank in France, it is not obligitory and if one has very basic transactions then they could end up costing a lot more.

Incidentally the second card, if needed is usually half price anyway.

Hi,

The point in having a French bank account and card for us is that we have euros in the account for frequent trips and when we drive we can get petrol late at night now without worrying about it. We don't have to pay commissions to anyone for our euros. No worries about exchange rates on credit cards. We get commercial rate for our pounds to euros.

I suppose it is just really for convenience and peace of mind but worked out over a number of trips the cost is minimal.

We also have the usual visa and mastercards for use if we need them and our normal bank card for using in 'hole in the wall'.

We bank with Credit Agricole and pay 8 euro per month for the account, its a management fee, which is normal here in France. Our friends bank with a different french bank and pay 15 euro per month!

I think there is a little confusion over the card issue, we have two cards, one each, and the bank wanted to charge 30 euro per year for the two, we objected and now only pay 15 euro per year. These are the cards which we use for petrol and shopping with a pin number.

I am not aware of any bank in France which does not charge something for the management of the account or the cards, but what is apparent is that you can negotiate the fees. If you object they will often reduce them.

The lesson is that everyones situation is different and the banks rules vary from department to department and often town to town.