Just a quick one..

We have been otherwise engaged and have missed the deadline on the EDF bill by about 10 days 

I tried to pay online but the site is having none of it, lots of "Not Available's, please mail engineering"

Finally in desperation we have sent a cheque by snail mail, what are the chances that the electricity is still connected ?? 

Paul and Debbie, Dept 24

You won't be cut off. If the can access the main fuse, they will downgrade you rating so you can only use minimal power. I'm not sure but I think the reason they cannot cut you off is in case there is an old person in the house.

Mark61120

Well they do cut people off, they cut my neighbours off. Which wasn't very convenient when they had a baby in the house. Each thought that the other had paid the bill and hadn't. They went onto prelevement straight after.

ps I know that they aren't supposed to for all sorts of reasons, but it does happen. Hopefully the original poster's cheque will have arrived in time.

Thanks all,

I will be setting up the DD but this is the first bill ! not a good start

I am going to send the cheque today registered / next day.. fingers crossed

Paul

In France the water and electric WILL be disconnected if payment is not made after an extended time whether there are old people,kids and babies in the property or not. You won't get a reminder either until an official letter comes with a majoration added. My neighbours went through a spate of not paying their bills and EDF and CdeE both cut them off from the outside without any warning. I wouldn't worry too much about being 10 days late and remember it takes 2 days for a letter to reach France and then a couple of days before you can check your bank statement.

Thanks Val,

I've sent the cheque this morning so hopefully they will have it before the end of the week.

Fingers crossed !

Paul

An interesting turn up for the books - We received a Reminder from EDF this morning that basicly said "your bill is overdue, please make arrangements for payment and if you have already paid please ignore this notice", much like the UK versions !!

I will check the bank account later today but I think they should have had the cheque by now..

I also e-mailed EDF and said I had been unable to pay the account online on the EDF site, they replied that this service was broken and to use www.Telefract.fr (sp?)

I think the only way to go is Direct Debit, I will set one up ASAP, far to much stress otherwise

on a similar subject, I have not had anything from the Water people, do they do billing runs at certain times or should I have received a notice from them for Change of ownership much like the EDF one ?

Paul

I did e-mail a message to EDF about the site and the payment option not working and their reply made me laugh, they said the best bet was to use  www.telefact.fr !!

Paul