Tax d'habitation

moon

On the owning property in France forum, the thread "Property Tax- rather confused" the third post suggests that tax d'habitation is income related and not payable if it is not your main residence. First I've heard of this is it true.

Would explain why i havent had a bill in two years.

Bob

As a couple of people said on the other thread, Taxe d'habitation is definitely income related, if you are resident in France and have sent in a tax return showing household income that is below the threshold, you will get a lower Taxe d'habitation bill.

I strongly recommend that you visit your local tresor public as soon as possible. For some reason one of my tax bills comes to my English address and the other one goes to my French address even though I’m quite sure that I asked for both to be sent to the UK.

I didn’t pick up the one in my French letter box until the beginning of February and incurred and automatic ten per cent penalty for late payment.

We have never been asked about our income or our age so it doesn't seem to be age or income related either.

Hoddy

I'm also confused about 'tax d'habitation' as we've never had a bill of any kind that actually quoted that wording. We have had bills for 2003 and 2004 from the tresor public for 'tax fonciere' though, can anyone confirm if this is the same thing please.

Just for info, we have also had the usual annual bills from the Marie for local charges.

Hazel

[quote]"usual annual bills from the Marie "What does it say on these bills ? In our area these are the taxe d'habitation.Hoddy[/quote]

Hi Hoddy

We have 2 bills from the Mairie the first says 'assainissement' which we understand is for the village cleaning service, and the second says 'redevance pour la collecte et le traitement des ordures menageres' which is for our local garbage collection service.

Neither of these bills has the wording tax d'habitation anywhere on them.

Hazel

[quote]The Taxe d'habitation bill comes on a form that looks virtually the same as the Taxe Fonciere being collected by the Tresor Public. The other local bills water, sewage, and rubbish come in a variety ...[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, its obvious that you get two seperate bills for 'tax d'habitation' and 'tax fonciere', which answers my original question.

We have only ever had the 'tax fonciere' bills from the tresor public and in the 2+ years that we've lived here in France we have never received any other bills for 'tax d'habitation'.

Who sends your 'tax d'habitation' bills to you if you don't mind me asking, maybe its something we should follow up on with an office somewhere in our region. Especially as we have recently been asked to provide copies of 'tax d'habitation' bills to someone as proof of our permanent residence here.

Hazel 

Contact your local Tresor Public they will should have all your details on file. If you draw a blank there then its off to the Hotel Des Impots which will porbably be in your nearest large town.

The Hotel des Impots calculate the charges, the Tresor Public do the collection.

I thought I could see why people with holiday homes were (wrongly) not be being charged the Habitation, simply beacuse the were unknown to trhe authorities because they weren't filing a tax return as they had no income in France. But in your case as you will be filing a tax return I'm puzzled, unless you qualify because of low income.

Does anyone know if those exempt on the grounds of income do not get a bill or do they get a sshould the receive a nill bill.

I thought that everybody was 'known' ? The notaire reports.....

Agreed, I was just trying to work out why it always seems to be the Habitation that doesn't turn up.

We were certainly known, and have always paid both , from the first full year onwards.

................that's what they said to me here in Manche, too!! We have paid Taxe Fonciere, but no Taxe d'Habitation - the lady at Hotel des Impots said that if we weren't on her computer and hadn't received a bill, then we didn't have to pay anything and that we might receive something this year after we have filled in this year's tax return!!.

Regards

Chris

We have filed a tax return for 2003 and expect to file a tax return for 2004 very soon as I understand the paperwork is just about to be sent out by the hotel des impots,  but as I said before we have never received a tax d'habitation bill.

To get a definitive answer for our own situation we are going to the tax office in Poitiers this afternoon, so we will post a reply about our findings later on.

Hazel

Well - we went to the Hotel des Impots this afternoon and the lady was very helpful. She found us on her system and confirmed that we would not have been asked to pay tax d'habitation in 2003 as we did  not own the property until 24th March that year, apparently the criteria is that one has to be resident on the 1st January of the year being charged.

She also confirmed that there is no bill for us to pay in 2004, which is the same as Ron and Chrisb have found, but she said that this may change after our tax returns have been submitted for this year.

So it was a worthwhile trip and we feel comfortable this evening that there are no tax bills of this nature that we don't know about/or haven't paid. If there are others on this forum who are in doubt - its probably worth checking it out with the authorites in question and getting some peace of mind on the issue.

Thanks for all the advice and info.

Hazel

We have had our holiday home for 5 years and have paid Tax Fonciere every year but never recieved a demand for Tax d'Habitation. We have written and phoned many times requesting a bill but have never had any luck in getting one. We have now stopped asking.