Bad feelings

Hi Tresco,

thanks for being understanding, the first example is not the case! the second example? Search me[;-)]

as for the attack on my punctuation? ( i assume they meant mine)  have read it through several times and can only see the lack of a couple of full stops! and even there it was at the end of a line, quick phone the full stop police.......

i went to a very good school (it was approved)[:D]

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Ron,

I'm missing something, what do you mean "read the second one" second one, what?

I was perfectly happy with the responses that were responses, not just "here we go again" as i said, if it annoys you, why respond i didn't expect life stories  and anecdotes about neighbours going the extra mile, i didn't want people to say every thing French is "merde" i wanted people's true feelings of how they find the locals in their part of France.

again, sorry if this annoys you

i do have a job and a life, and i have as much right as any other poster to ask any question on this forum, just because i have only posted a few questions doesn't give me any less right than someone who's posted thousands of times( it doesn't make it your forum and people don't have to conform to your rules, just the forum rules)

Hi Dick,

sorry mate, didn't realise about the situation with this other character, funnily enough, i was reading through some of the other topics earlier and spotted a user called "Frankfile" and thought it a bit odd that he was on before me and chose such a weird name( it's obviously francophile, so why frank file)

I can assure you that i am not that person and have no connection with him/her whatsoever( i'm sure the mods would be able to confirm this via ISP address or something equally technical)

thanks franc o

[quote user="Dick Smith"]

Our concern at you was the presence a while back of a troll called Frank O'File (or similar) who asked similar questions.
[/quote]

Dick, that was definitely a different person. I've checked.

Franc. There was someone with a very similar name to you. That person was trouble.

I'm not usually 'understanding', I'm quite gruff a lot of the time, but I think you have been misunderstood, because of the similarity in user names.

It happens.

Tresco, again, thank you,

I thought i had hit a nerve or something, i use other forums and people tend to be a little bit more understaning when a newbie sins so thoughtlessly. I accept that i should have used the search facility and i will never stoop so low again (imho most of these forum search facilities are shite, but don't tell the mods i said that )

sorry if i got peoples backs up for being the wrong person,[:)] sorry for going on the defensive but i'm Welsh, what can you expect

PS i have removed the offensive "dish the dirt" from the original post to help to calm people who were so offended by it!

Well, as I said, the search facility here is pretty rubbish, unless you have been here for years and have a bonkers memory for strings of words.

It's that bad, if you typed in 'car' you would probably get someone talking about an 'escarpment' they once scaled.

As for being Welsh, you are in good company. Well, bonkers would be a better way of describing it, but that's a whole other discussion.[:P]

I hope this marks the end of this blip or whatever anyone wants to call it.

Considering some of the responses to the OP,  I'm not surprised that he/she hasn't come back to the thread.

Even if this subject has been discussed many times before I think it's interesting to get the views of members who've recently joined or who missed the previous discussions on the subject.  After a while it's interesting to hear different points of view instead of the same ones that we've heard time and time again - however valuable their experience may be.

I thought the OP bought up a very interesting point.  I've always wondered myself how the British working at Aerospace in Toulouse live their lives.  What's it like working with so many British people in France?  How do they live their lives AFTER work?  Is it difficult for them to make friends with French people?  Do they get hassle off their French co-workers?

I think that if we stick to the question the OP was asking then this thread could become a very interesting source of information.

I've done a quick search but it doesn't seem like the subject of British Aerosapce workers has been discussed.  I'm sure I shall be corrected if I'm wrong[:)]

I believe that there is a group of Americans who are quite active in Toulouse, but I don't know if they work for Airbus or the related industries or if Brits are welcome [;-)] but as its a bigger cultural step from the US to France than from the UK I too wonder how they get on. When I lived in the States there was no news on regular TV on Europe and it all felt very "small town" with no interest and very little knowledge of what was happening in Europe. I always assume that if you are going to work in a foriegn country you would be interested in it culturally but who knows.

Hi Twinkle,

I've been working in Brum so had no internet access ( Ron didn't scare me off)

What i was alluding to in my original post, was that a friend of mine has just taken redundancy from the aerospace industry but was offered a contract in Toulouse, he decided to retrain and have a complete career change (like myself, we met at college)

He has heard from a lot of his previous colleagues that the French in Toulouse are very "annoyed" at the influx of Brits in the area, pushing up the house prices, taking all the jobs etc, although, he did say the only reason so many Brits have gone over there is because there are very few( if any) locals who have the skills needed for the work they are doing.

I was wondering if this situation was rife in France or were my "holiday" experiences more on par with those of you who live there permanantely.

Didn't mean to skate around the issue but didn't want to come out all guns blazing

I haven't met with any hostility.

Well, there was one man who said I (and all English people) was stupid, but that may have been a misunderstanding.

People round here (very rural) are a little confused as to why one would move more than 10 miles from where you were born, let alone to another country, but then most of their children have scarpered elsewhere. I can't imagine why.[;-)]

I suppose it depends who you talk to, and also how many 'Brits' are in the area...and how stupid they are, or are deemed to be.[:D]

Hi Tresco,

I can imagine why anyone, French or otherwise, would thinks Brits stupid, have you ever been on a campsite with Eurocamp, Eurosites and all the other ops with several hundred British kids?

I have held my head in shame on occasions, fortunetely not been on that kind of holiday for several years. We bought a static caravan from a very British site in Argeles sur Mer several years ago and had the option of siting it there......... not happening, we paid extra to have it towed up the road to a French site, afterall, we were in France, we didn't want to feel that we were in "little Britain"

I can see why that would be very attractive to some people who are just spending a few weeks in France each year.

I'm getting into 'thread crossover' territory here, but I read elsewhere that your OH needs 'persuading' to move to France.

Problem.

I speak as someone who capitulated.[:)]

Hi Franc o!

Glad we didn't scare you off[:)] 

I have quite a lot of friends who live and work in Toulouse and I'll ask them what they think of the issue - but they've never mentioned anything before about the Brits there.

[quote user="franc o file"]Tresco, you capitulator, you.  do you regret letting your OH get her own way?[/quote]

Yes and no, Franc.  If I'd had my wit about me things might have worked out differently. I'm reasonably content, though.

P.S:  I am of the female persuasion.[:)]

This chap at Airbus is buying a camper off me and he has mentioned in his emails that his english collegue made a negative comment about my campervan, so that either show that the english workforce here are still as negative as over there or it shows that they communicate quite well, or both !

back to the original Q !!

Lee

I also thought Tresco was a bloke when I first posted here a year ago and flirted outrageously with her/him[:D]

Oh God - I hope Gluestick doesn't see this[:$]

Night Bless both and good luck Franc o (BTW -I'm Welsh too[:)])