Deposit needed to open a bank account in France

DZ

I hope someone will be able to advise me.

We are in the process of buying a house in France and need to open a French bank account as soon as possible.  When we contacted the BNP bank in France, they informed us that they would require a minimum deposit of 8,000 euro which they would then put in a savings account for us.  This is security for them, but effectively dead money for us, as we would not have access to it until the day we closed the account.  Does anyone has any experience of dealing with another French bank which would require a smaller deposit?

Thanks for any advice on this!

Anna

Banque Populaire didn't take anything from us to open the account - in fact they gave us 30 euros (in effect 'giving' us the first 4 months account charges). But that is just it: BP charge us 7 euros 20 each month for the privilege of having the account and one carte bleue - I then paid another 17+ euros for the second, virtually indispensible card. But that is French Banking.

No French bank should charge for inbound transfers from the UK providing: BIC and IBAN numbers are used, the amount transferred is for less than 12500 euros and it is for personal use. But, having said that, French Banks are famous for ignoring the rules.

Caisse d'Epargne used to be just a Savings Bank but it became a Bank sometime ago and is gaining in the popularity, albeit slowly, perhaps because it pays interest on its current account but also as it has widened its remit.

Sue

This does not sound right 8,000€?  Try another bank.

I opened a CL account with 100€ in Calais.  When you say CA Colin, which do you mean?  CA Nord Pyrenees have not charged for internet access or transactions for at least a year now and next year the monthly charge becomes annual, unless it is a misprint.

Thanks, everyone, for your useful comments.  We might try hopping over the channel to open a bank account there and then.  Can this be done in one day, in your experience, and if so, what documents (apart from a passport) does one need to provide?

Anna

Yes it can be done in one day and a lot of the cashiers in Calais ,speak English if that is a concern

You will need your passport anyway and proof of an address in France and your cheque or cash.  Remember also that few if any banks in Calais/Boulogne are open on Mondays, nobody told me that when I went over.........

[quote]The problem is that we haven't finalized the purchase of the house yet. Does a Compromis de Vente or a mortgage offer (in French) count as proof of an address in France? Anna[/quote]

Anna

As the bank is looking for your business, I would expect that evidence as you suggest would be acceptable for an address in France, in fact I think when his was discussed before, this documentation was stated as acceptable by some members

I'm not at all sure that a mortgage offer or compromis de vente would strictly be acceptable under the international money laundering laws, though some may let them through. Many banks will let you open a compte etranger, for which you will need a couple of items of evidence of your British address (e.g. utility bils).