Fiscal Residency?

Stefan

You can also be held to be fiscally resident in France if your main home is in France, if your family and/or dependants live in France, if your main economic activity is based in France - etc etc.

For purposes of capital gains tax though, you are normally regarded as a French taxpayer (and thus exempt from the tax on your principal home, or the part not used for business purposes) if you have made a tax return in France.

If you move to France with the intention of residing there indefinitely you will become a French tax resident the day after your arrival. You will also be deemed to be tax resident if: France is your main residence or home; you spend more than 183 days there per calendar year; your principal activity is in France; most of your substantial assets are in France. As if that isn’t enough, there is a also an unusual “catch all” in that if you spend more time in France than in any other single jurisdiction then you are also deemed to be resident of France. And, finally, if your spouse is resident of France then you too will be considered resident of France!

If you meet any of these criteria you are liable to pay French taxes on your worldwide income.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote]Hello But how can anyone know how long you spend in any one country?[/quote]

They don't have to. I'm sure LL is (are) correct, but if you are tax resident in either country & don't pay the appropriate tax, you are going to end up in do-do. It is your responsibility to prove your residency status.

[quote]Hello But how can anyone know how long you spend in any one country?[/quote]

They don't have to. I'm sure LL is (are) correct, but if you are tax resident in either country & don't pay the appropriate tax, you are going to end up in do-do. It is your responsibility to prove your residency status.

• 1 month later...
We have two CODEVI  (of Euros 4600) with CA. We have now received a letter to say that these Codevi do not comply with our "non residential" status. Britline suggested that I should send a letter of apology to CA for taking these out and asking them to transfer the money into our current account. But really it was not our fault, we were simply adviced wrongly and can they deduct all the interest?

I imagine that will simply deduct the 26% tax from the pretty pathetic 2% interest that a Codevi pays.

If they don't want to pay you any interest then you are on pretty weak ground. On the application you will have (wrongly) signed to say that you were resident in France.