Loss of water pressure - any ideas?

We have had a phone call to say that there is virtually no water pressure in the taps in our house in France - apparently it's just coming out in a dribble.  The meter has been checked over night and was unchanged so we don't think it's due to water leak and our neighbours apparently have no problem.  It's been identified because we've got some builders in trying to do some repointing and they can't use the outside tap, but we understand it's the same inside.

I am going to have to phone the water company tomorrow but before I do, does anyone have any thoughts as to what might be causing the problem?

Thanks

Have the builders checked the stop tap?  If your neighbours' supply is fine, it sounds like a blockage.

P. S. On another thread recently, someone was worried that there had been theft of their water supply but as your meter reading is the same, it won't be that.

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I had seen the post about water theft and it made me think about our own security arrangements.  But as you say, that doesn't seem to be a problem here.

The stoptap has been checked too so it isn't that either.  I agree it's probably a blockage - though am not sure how we would set about finding and fixing it. I guess the first thing is to call Veolia and check that the pressure is OK going into the meter.

[quote user="Helen"]

The stoptap has been checked too so it isn't that either.  I agree it's probably a blockage - though am not sure how we would set about finding and fixing it. I guess the first thing is to call Veolia and check that the pressure is OK going into the meter.

[/quote]

As the water companies interest ends at he meter, wouldn't you be better calling a plumber? He can check the pressure, which is likely to be alright if your neighbours water is OK.

A water leak would not necessarily reduce the pressure unless it was pretty big, so a failure of the meter or tap is just possible. Have your builders done anything to disturb the water inlet pipes to the house, after the meter, such as trenching, laying drives, digging down round the foundations, laying terraces, all of which might disturb and externally block the pipe?

Many thanks for the comments - very supportive, not least as my other half is away at the moment and I'm having to deal with this on my own!

We paid a bill in January for the 1st semestre 2008 - which I assume means 6 months?  So I don't think it will be that though I will check with Veolia that they think I've paid too!  ( However, I now find that the phone number on the water bill doesn't appear to work from the UK - it's an 0811 number which may be why - and the website to contact them by email seems to be on a go-slow. Life's never easy!)

I've been wondering about damage to the pipe to the outdoor tap in the back garden, though they haven't been working at the front (where the meter is) and our friends think that the pressure is down in the house too.  It may be a plumber is what is needed.  I'll let you know how I get on!

Check with veolia before getting a plumber. Your problem sounds very much like veolia has turned down the pressure so that you only get a tricle. We ask them to reduce the pressure when we are between tenants, we still have to pay the standing charge, however the loss of water through theft or by external damage is substantially reduced.

ams

So, the conclusion (well nearly!) 

After lengthy conversations yesterday between our builder, an English friend in France and myself we have come to the following conclusion:

The water pressure throughout the house and garden is roughly the same as UK water pressure and is therefore unchanged from what we have had ever since we moved in a year ago.  So no sudden new problem.  However, apparently this level of water pressure is substantially less than French people expect.  Our builder therefore assumed we had a problem (I think he wanted to use the hose to jet wash the repointing he has done for us).

So it is a matter of different expectations - we thought it was fine, the French think we have a problem.  At least there is no need for me to rush over to France tonight (rats - I was looking forward to a day or two in the garden!) but we will get Veolia in when we are next over.  As the house was empty for a year before we bought it, the pressure may well have been reduced as you suggested.

Many thanks for all the comments and advice.

Having seen another recent thread,  I'm not sure how this ranks compared to the merits of ironing and grass maintenance!  However, I will indeed let you know how we get on - though it won't be for another 10 days until we are back.  My first plan is to ask our immediate neighbours if I can turn on their water tap for comparison purposes -  not sure what they will make of that request!

We suffer from low water pressure too, any ideas where the pressure relief value you refer to will be installed? I've found the meter box out in the garden and know where the supply comes into the house to the stop cock, but I've not seen anything I'd identify as a PRV, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, anyone got pictures of what one looks like? I'm not in France at the moment but will be there this coming weekend.

Cheers
Mark

I had this problem just the other day. I went to the green box embedded in the ground and removed the lid. Along with the handle that turns the water on and off there was a silver valve which had a hole in it but there didn't seem any way of adjusting it. I called the guy who installed it and he came and simply unscrewed the top of the valve so that it came off like a ten pence piece. He then put a screw driver into the opening below and turned it. I had the tape on so that we could see the change in pressure. Hope this is of some help.

[quote user="Mrh74"]

We suffer from low water pressure too, any ideas where the pressure relief value you refer to will be installed? I've found the meter box out in the garden and know where the supply comes into the house to the stop cock, but I've not seen anything I'd identify as a PRV, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, anyone got pictures of what one looks like? I'm not in France at the moment but will be there this coming weekend.

Cheers
Mark

[/quote]

My meter is in the house. A few centimetres beyond the meter is a dome-shaped insert on the pipe. This is the pressure reduction valve. Sometimes they have a gauge showing the reduced pressure in bars.

Thanks for the advice, there is something like the PRV shown in the last post in the meter pit as far as I can remember, I'll have a go at it next week to see if I can do anyhting to improve our water pressure.

Cheers
Mark

• 5 weeks later...

I promised some follow-up so here goes!

After a couple of attempts, we have finally had a visit from the man from Veolia who checked the water pressure at the meter and confirmed it was all OK.  He had the meter apart too and cleaned it so peace of mind on that front.

His advice, as others on this thread, was that it was a problem with the water pressure regulator, and also a separate mechanical problem with one of the taps that he tested. So next stop is to get a plumber in to look at those.

• 3 months later...