Taxe d'Habitation-online IE7

Cat

Has anyone tried paying their Taxe d'Habitation online using IE7 yet?

I ask as I'm getting an untrusted security certificate warning each time I try to access the payment site.  It was fine when I payed my Taxe Fonciere a few weeks ago, using IE6.

The actual error is...

Untrusted Certificate

On looking up what the implications of this might be, I get...

This error occurs when the certificate has been issued by a certification authority that is not recognized by Internet Explorer. It is unlikely that this error will occur on a legitimate business or banking site. Phishing sites often attempt to use fake certificates that will trigger this error.

I'm not going beyond this warning, but do want to pay online, as tomorrow is the deadline for payments unless made online.

Is it just me, or what?

IE7 has additional facilities that try to identify phishing sites. Its probably just being a bit picky with something its not met before. If you are entering the details from the back of your bill I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Its  the natural distrust of anything French by a bit of  American software!

Perhaps, but I was wondering why the service des impôts hadn't been flooded with complaints by angry french taxpayers, and either corrected the problem or put something on their website.  They must have tested it using IE7 surely?

Perhaps it's because the French version of IE7 hasn't been released yet, although the release candidate is available, so there is no excuse for not having at least tested it...ho hum [Www]

What you are using to get to the impots site would not affect navigation round the site, perhaps its your security settings that need adjusting or the security certificate has expired, they are not open ended.  I did notice that  with one route into the payment section, you can go via the specific tax type it asked for a certificate number to be entered, the other route through manage my account did not.  Try that route perhaps it will work for you as well.

The security certificate had not expired (for that I would have had a different message, I've seen those before too). I believe that the user-agent-string for a web browser is used by websites to determine which browser is being used.  IE7 actually has a utility that can be downloaded for anyone unable to access certain sites using IE7 that can make IE7 be interpreted by the recieving website as IE6.

I was using the second route you mentioned.  I tried it again today, same problem, but as I needed to pay, I went ahead anyway.  I took the precaution of running Spybot and Hijack this beforehand, and then running the netstat -no command (run from the DOS command window) to give me a list of all TCP addresses in use, so if anything dodgy should occur at least I have a record.

Worryingly I had an attempt by Paypal shortly afterwards to save a cookie on my computer (which I refused) and also found an Amazon TCP address running when I ran netstat again. I had visited neither of these sites.

Should I panic?

I also had the same problem, but had to go ahead with the transaction as I was late!  I haven't noticed anything strange yet. 

There was an adhesion au telereglement attached to the email asking for a signature, RIB etc, which needs to be posted to the bank.  I thought the whole idea of paying on line was that I didn't need to post RIBs off etc... is this not the case?

Yes, the whole online payment, but RIB and written authorisation needed thing is a bit bizarre, but it's only necessary the first time (to set up and authorise the direct debit if you like). 

As for the bank details being XXXed out in the acknowledgement email, for mine the bank code and code guichet were XXXed out, but not the account number.  This was the same when I payed my taxes foncières online (pre IE7, no security certificate problems).

Apparently the French verison has now started to be rolled out in windows automatic updates, so I guess the merde will really hit the feu soon  [Www]

Well, I found the whole process really easy which is quite surprising as I have an old (very pretty but quite useless) iMac!

Signing and sending off the RIB does seem a bit mad but I don't think French banks will make any prelevements without signed authorisation. Just look at it as extra security.

I guess, in a way, I should be relieved to know that the bank needs this info to allow the transaction, especially as I'm becoming paranoid about it now.  It just seems a contradiction.  I'm a bit concerned that if I send the RIB off to my bank with this form it's setting up the system whereby the tax office will just take amounts owing in future, without my authorisation each time, as there's nothing on the form about the amount.  I would rather be in control and pay each year by cheque or online. 

Is this the case?

If you haven't noticed any differences, you're probably still using version 6 (on the menu bar, go to "Help" and then click on "About Internet Explorer", you'll get a splash screen, and the version number will be shown there).

If you are using IE7 you can find the version in the same way, but if you can't see a Help menu, you will first need to go to the "Tools" menu and tick the Menu Bar option.

this is the same with Mozilla too. I've paid all my taxes online, and wanted to check my account and when I try to log on to 'my space' it tells me that a certificate is missing, and to my knowledge I've never had a certificate before. Perhaps the impots.gouv.fr site has been upgraded?

Does anyone know how I get the certificate?

thanks