Tax on Pension

Pauline

Pauline ............

He most certainly will.

Once resident (i.e. on arrival), you enter the French taxation regime and his income (and yours, if any) become taxable.  However, you will not be liable for tax in the UK provided you go through the well-documented process on here - Search on 'Tax' and you'll get bucketloads of info.

Only caveat is if he's a central or local govt employee, in which case his earnings continue to be taxed in the UK.  

With respect, that's like asking the same question for the tax regime in the UK, e.g. if your income is £15k you might pay 20%, and if it was £40k it might be 30%. These aren't the numbers for either here or the UK, but in both cases, it depends on your total gross income & allowances. Higher tax rates kick in, the higher your taxable income.  

Read up on the previous posts from the folk who are intimate with the detail - it's not that complicated once you get the hang of it.  If you're still baffled, come back.

If he's retiring with a pension at 53, will he have a service pension police/millitary etc. or a civil service pension? If so these will be taxed in the UK but need to be declared on your French tax return.

So as Les says, your husband's income will continue to be taxed in the UK - this is not optional.

However, you must complete a French tax return - although it will be a nil demand, it will be necessary when your E106 runs out in order that your Social Security cotisations can be calculated accurately.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

I recall reading on another forum that health service pensions are not classed as government pensions, so it'd be worth checking this out first. I think teacher's pensions also come into the same category.

[/quote]

FACT.

NHS Pensions are not classed as government pensions and can be paid direct to your french bank account (in euro's).

How they are paid to the pensioner does not determine if they are "state" pensions as the French like to call them, I read somewhere that you can now get these "government" pensions paid in euros in France for a small fee.  However, I have no idea whether NHS pensions have to be taxed in the UK or not but teachers pensions are classed as local authority pensions i.e. Government pensions and are taxed in the UK.