Advice needed re making changes in insurance coverage for maison secondaire

tenniswitch

We're about mid-way through the renovation of an oldish house in a small rural French town.  When we bought it (and the notaire arranged our assurance), we knew that we would be gutting it and completely redoing the roof, plumbing, and wiring, as well as rearranging a couple of rooms in order to add new bathrooms.

Now the roof has been replaced, the rewiring is complete and the plumber has begun installing the new pipes (no fixtures have been installed yet).

If we were remodeling a house in the US, where we have our primary residence, we would need to notify our insurer so that our coverage (and premiums) could be appropriately increased.  I'm wondering when we need to notify our French assurance company of the changes and how one calculates the increase in value of the house for insurance purposes.

Insurance is normally based on the size of habitable rooms (not including kitchen and bathrooms).  Therefore I would doubt that there would be an increase, unless you have added - say - bedrooms upstairs.  For myself, I would ask the insurance company to be sure.