Oil prices

When I popped back to the house last weekend, the tanks were completely empty. The painters & decorators had left the boiler on for 10 days (and erm only appeared for work on 2 or 3 of these). A new delivery couldn't be made for 4/5 days so I popped to the local garage, jerry cans in hand and bought 40 litres. It was 80 cents a litre. Having transferred this to the tank, I started up the boiler again. 24 hours later, I was a bit shocked to find we were empty again. So this process continued for 4 days until the delivery arrived for the refill - at about 54 cents/lt. I suppose it was useful to establish just how much oil the boiler needs on a daily basis. Still, at least the price is miles lower than last year. Since we plan to rent the house out during the Winter months, it's important to realise how much money to factor in for heating whilst it is occupied - with maybe some contingency against upward future adjustment of the price!

LOL - Ernie just noticed my typo!!

Same problem here, darnsarf re the winter heating costs are astronomical - even after putting in insulation (20cms thick). We thought we'd be ok for a while as the (2000 L) tank was over 70% full. Then our 'helpful' neighbour put the heating on the 'warm the house' when it was really cold - and managed to get though 400+ litres of oil in the process!! We have said so many times now not to put the c/h on when the house is unoccupied but it seems to fall on deaf ears.  Any suggestions as to how we can 'fix' the boiler so she can't come and switch it on?? 

Re the winter letting, we decided not to use the house in the cold months for that reason - just too expensive.  We're having a big wood burner installed in the next few months in an effort to keep the heating costs down.  We've got a (very) big open fire but the chimney opening is so huge (six people can stand upright in our fireplace!) that most of the heat disappears up the chimney!  Added to that, the 'draw' on the fireplace isn't very good so you either stay warm and suffocate on the choking smoke or you breathe easily and shiver....or resign yourself to massive fuel bills.

[quote user="Scooby"]LOL - Ernie just noticed my typo!!

Any suggestions as to how we can 'fix' the boiler so she can't come and switch it on?? 

[/quote]

We bought a cheap timer & put it between the boiler plug & wall socket. You can set it to come on for five mins a day if you want & if they keep putting the boiler on, it will only fire up between the times you have set!