DWP pension paid into fremch bank..........

cartref

I was thinking of opening a Flexi current account with Nationwide before our move to France but read that I need to pay in £1000 a month.As I only get £304 pm OAP (should not have stayed at home to look after the children!) and a private pension which still adds up to less than £1000 per month I presume this will not be available for me or is there more than one Nationwide current account?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a Flex account with online banking then there is no monthly minimum credit requirement.

What I think you're looking at is the monthly credit amounts to receive a higher rate of interest on the current account. Anything less than £ 500.00 going in per month gets you 0.10& interest. Anything over £ 1,000 per month gets you 4.0% interest.

Very wise to open one before your move.

• 3 weeks later...
As a point of reference for others, Mrs Benjamin has today received her first pension payment direct from DWP into our joint  [:D] French account. The rate she received was 1.345 which I find incredibly high given the exchange rates of the last few days.

I'm apparently being taken out to lunch tomorrow as I made the suggestion that she should make the change. [:D]

I recently paid into my French bank account a cheque in Euros issued by a Spanish bank. I have been doing this for quite some time off and on and putting up with the usual 2- 3 weeks delay involved. However I have started to be charged for this service at quite a high rate this time about 4.2% of the cheque face value. Complaints to my bank get the usual stone wall treatment. So I have complained to the European Commission because I had previously believed these charges were unlawful. Apologies for the unclickable links and the dogey translation.

Here for what it's worth is their reply:-

The EU is currently undertaking a number of initiatives in order to create a single payment area for the euro currency. Bank charges are lawful, even in respect of relatively small amounts.

However, there is in place legislation on the equality of charges within the EU, regulation 2560/2001, which is available at the following website:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2001:344:0013:0016:EN:PDF

and further explained at the following website:

http://europa.eu/scadplus/leg/en/lvb/l33223.htm

These rules provide, in outline, that the charges for electronic cross-border payments should be the same as the equivalent national payment.

However, this regulation does not extend to promoting equality in the charges for payments made by cheque. Nevertheless, these rules do provide that the bank should make the charges, even those in respect of cheques, clear.

Therefore the rules promote the transparency in the charges (and you should have been informed of the possibility and size of the charge) and also promotes the use of electronic money transfers.

If you did not get information as to the likely charges you should complain to your bank and, if that fails, you should contact the European Consumer Centre network, which may assist you further:

http://www.euroinfo-kehl.eu/

[quote user="Logan"]I recently paid into my French bank account a cheque in Euros issued by a Spanish bank... I have started to be charged for this service at quite a high rate this time about 4.2% of the cheque face value...[/quote]

I have just checked my bank's fees about cheques in Euros from an EEE country and they are not mentioned at all in their 2008 tariffs.

Up to now, I have never had to pay any fee or commission when paying these in, but I have email my bank (CANMP) for a clear indication of their policy.

After a few emails going to and from the bank, I got the definitive answer: €23 or €42 (it depends on when the chq is credited).

I have pointed out to them that  their website shows a different 2008 list of tariffs...[:@]

Still, I am amazed I have been able to communicate by email with my bank in almost real time!! How's that for progress!![:D][:-))]

Hi Benjamin,

Just a quick note to the effect that I too had my 1st pension paid into my French bank account yesterday at the same exchange rate you mentioned. I was well pleased to say the least. As I am single I may take myself out for a small celebration![:D]

tuppence (AKA as cartref)