Barclays France

DorothyJ

Has anyone had experience with Barclays Bank France? We live in Department 72/49 and it appears our nearest branch is in Nantes. Having visited our local branch today in England the information we received was zilch.... We have had a Credit Agricole account for some time and have used Hifix or Currencies4less, to exchange sterling once or twice a year. As we already use Barclays in England it would seem to be an easy way of transferring money. Can anyone help please?

Personally, I think what you do already is fine.  I would not complicate matters.  The currency dealers really are the niftiest and most economical way of transferring large amounts.

However - and this has been said before - the cheapest and quickest way to just get cash to spend when you are here, is to open a Nationwide Flexaccount in the UK, get a debit card, and take cash out of any old machine when you are over here, then you only change what you need to for everyday stuff.  Their exchange rates really are incredibly good as many who live over here have discovered and will testify.  Then do the big exchanges via the dealers, when the time appears to be right (and knowing when that is is the rocket science bit).

But that's just my opinion, you understand!

Thanks for the prompt advice. We opened a flexaccount this morning and will give Barclays a miss. We might just be able to manage on the euros we have this year as we only stay the 6 months in France. Next year we hope the house will be fit to live in permanently. By then I hope the exchange rate may have improved - and we shall have saved enough to use a dealer!

Our house must be quite close to you as we live twixt La Flèche and Durtal with Le Mans about 40 mins. away. Isn't it a most beautiful area?

Thanks once again

We are North of the city, Dorothy, and yes, it is a beautiful part of the world - and happily, this is not appreciated by too many!

I think you did the right thing, personally, as if your local branch of Barclays in the UK did not know what you were on about, the chances were also pretty good that you'd have trouble linking the accounts.  The banks take their pound of flesh, whatever, although Nationwide seem to limit themselves to a few ounces only.