Setting up a company in France

Helen

We've just registered a French branch of our small English marketing agency. We're slowly wading through all the paperwork, and have just received two letters about pension contributions from two different organisations: AGIRC and ARRCO. It all looks rather alarming - and expensive! Can anyone shed any light on how the system works? Thanks

We are of course all very grateful for the contributions from Clair our Moderator. However, Clair regularly posts links to complicated and obsure French sites, when there equally good, if not better, reference sites in English. This is the case here, where I can think of a number of sites (IFP, FE etc) where there is a lot of useful information on this subject. Come on Clair, if you are being told to keep other Anglophone sites off the LF pages, we do think you ought to come clean about it.

We are of course all very grateful for the contributions from Clair our Moderator. However, Clair regularly posts links to complicated and obsure French sites, when there equally good, if not better, reference sites in English. This is the case here, where I can think of a number of sites (IFP, FE etc) where there is a lot of useful information on this subject. Come on Clair, if you are being told to keep other Anglophone sites off the LF pages, we do think you ought to come clean about it. I wonder if this post will be published? If not, I think it proves my point.

And what exactly is your point daftpunk?

The reason that Clair, or anyone else for that matter, often posts links to the organisations people ask about is because it is better to read the facts from the publishing body (or house's mouth, if you prefer) than to get 2nd or 3rd hand reports that are sometimes distorted in the telling, and sometimes just plain wrong.

They might seem complicated and obscure due to their being written in French, but as we are in France...

[quote user="daftpunk"]

Come on Clair, if you are being told to keep other Anglophone sites off the LF pages, we do think you ought to come clean about it. I wonder if this post will be published? If not, I think it proves my point.

[/quote]

I post links to French sites because I try as much as possible to go to the source of the info, rather than someone's interpretation of it in another language.

Honestly....Where on earth do you get these daft ideas from???[8-)] [blink]

I appreciate that makes good sense Clair, and most occasions when I go to your links and I am duly rewarded. On this occasion, however, I found the whole thing very difficult to follow. Probably more a reflection on me rather than you though:)

My personal view is that, as the French systems are so complicated and fragmented, it is foolhardly to try and set up any sort of business in France without the help of a qualified professional (e.g. an expert comptable or similar).

Remember that if you personally get something wrong, which is very easy to do, you can end up liable for some very large bills, or even worse. If an accountant gets it wrong, which is less likely but still perfectly possible, then you can claim against their professional liability insurance.

[quote user="Clair"]

I post links to French sites because I try as much as possible to go to the source of the info, rather than someone's interpretation of it in another language.

[/quote]

... and I find your posts and links really helpful  [:)]

I agree. The use of an accountant is extremely important. But I have received poor advice from accountants, as have others I know. Surely the real answer is that you need to use multiple sources of information. I find official French Government sites rarely give a complete picture, and often assume a lot of prior knowledge. Moreover, they are rarely written from the perspective of an expat. Secondary Anglophone sources are prone to error, but as they are in English, they are often a good starting point. Some of the best of those sources include Forums, such as those we enjoy here:)

However, as Will points out, the thing about an accountant is that if he/she is wrong - they take the hit, and not you.  That is the value of professional advice - you have a comeback.  Not so if you have mistranslated a French instruction, or taken less-than-correct advice from a forum member - however well intentioned.

[quote user="cooperlola"]That is the value of professional advice - you have a comeback.  Not so if you have mistranslated a French instruction, or taken less-than-correct advice from a forum member - however well intentioned.[/quote]

Hear hear! That's the main rason I post links to official French sites whenever I can, however obscure they might appear to be...[Www]

[quote user="Helen"]We've just registered a French branch of our small English marketing agency. We're slowly wading through all the paperwork, and have just received two letters about pension contributions from two different organisations: AGIRC and ARRCO. [/quote]

Just to answer your original question Helen, and presuming you have employees at this branch of your agency, then ARRCO is the pension collection agency for the "workers" of this agency and AGIRC the pension collection agency for the "managers" of this agency.  Exactly what percentages and which agency you contribute to depends on the salaries of these employees.  I'm sure your accountant will advise you as appropriate.  Good luck[:D]