How to sweep the chimney of an inset fire?

We have a Godin woodburner insert and have used the ramonage buches but really ought to sweep the chimney now. We have the brushes but don't know where to start!

The only access to the pipe is through the woodburner and at inside, at the top, is a large metal plate that slides a little but I'm reluctant to try and remove it entirely, without some advice from someone who's done it before, just in case I can't get it back in place.

Has anyone ever swept their own inset fire and, if so, how do you do it. Sweeping from the top down isn't an option as our roof tiles are rather fragile, to say the least!

If it really proves too difficult then I may call out a sweep but, in the first instance, as we have the brushes and rods then we'd like to do it ourselves to save the pennies!

We got all the gear to do ours last year, but chickened out and got a local ramoneur to do it pretty cheaply instead.  The problem with doing it yourself is that you won't have the necessary certificate for insurance purposes, should you be unlucky enough to experience a chimney fire.

Chris

[quote user="nectarine"]We have a Godin woodburner insert and have used the ramonage buches but really ought to sweep the chimney now. We have the brushes but don't know where to start! The only access to the pipe is through the woodburner and at inside, at the top, is a large metal plate that slides a little but I'm reluctant to try and remove it entirely, without some advice from someone who's done it before, just in case I can't get it back in place. Has anyone ever swept their own inset fire and, if so, how do you do it. Sweeping from the top down isn't an option as our roof tiles are rather fragile, to say the least! If it really proves too difficult then I may call out a sweep but, in the first instance, as we have the brushes and rods then we'd like to do it ourselves to save the pennies![/quote]

Yes you would need to remove the baffle plate at the top. Its not called a baffle plate because it tricky to remove or replace. [:D]

You will need a good, not domestic, vacuum cleaner and it would be wise to buy a "bidon vide cendres" so the soot doesn't ruin your vacuum cleaner and don't forget a good face mask.

Its best to sheet up round the fire and work through a sort of tent.

If you are unsure get it done by a professional and watch how they do it. Doing it your self means you won't get a certificate, best to check if your insurer requires it.

If you do a resonable job a couple of time a year you won't have a chimney fire.

• 1 month later...

Hiya

We have a Jotel wood burning fire.  Would always recommend getting a professional once a year because of insurance.  You are generally not covered if there is a problem by your insurance unless you get the certificate once a year.

Ron

The Mtal plate you refer to is lifted out tilting front up slightly.It sits on lugs-BUT IT IS VERY HEAVY and is awkward due to having to lift it just using arms.I put packing cloths underneath and then blocks of wood!Then lower it down.Due to its shape though it is full of soot ontop.After removal there is then the circular perforated damper to get past.Nylon brushes do pass though.Good luck hope you have muscles on your ------. Maude

[quote user="Scooter"]

Hiya

We have a Jotel wood burning fire.  Would always recommend getting a professional once a year because of insurance.  You are generally not covered if there is a problem by your insurance unless you get the certificate once a year.

Ron

[/quote]

Agree - doesn't cost much and they don't make a mess.  Neighbour did a DIY job and insurance company refused to pay out when they had a chimney fire.

We had a ramoneur out this morning. He did the job quickly and cleanly. Charged us 48 euros and gave us the certificate our house insurance requires for coverage. I'd say get it done professionally and have the peace of mind.

My husband does this himself, as we too had the equipment. I called out insurance company and asked them if they needed the certificate each year - they don't. I got this in writing (just to be sure!), so it's worth checking with yours. If they do need it, you'll have to call a sweep in anyway. There is very little mess when we clean ours, but lifting up the flappy bit is heavy and awkward. It helps to have someone else with you to run outside and check that the brush has reached the top (yes, that's my job!). Just to be sure, it might be wise to call a sweep the first time and watch carefully. You can always do it yourself throughout the year if you want to only call a sweep in onece a year for the certificate (we use our fire as a main source of heating, so clean it out more than once a year).

Good luck,

Jane

thanks for all replies. We have called in a sweep who is coming tomorrow, so we can watch and see how he does it. It's also easier as I don't think the chimneys have been swept for years so he is better prepared to deal with the (extensive) soot and debris that is probably stuffed up there.

Separately, we had a chimney fire the other week. Fire going well but as I looked out in the garden I saw a low-lying fog rolling across the garden. When I went out, I saw smoke pouring out of the chimney but dropping to the ground instead of dispersing in the air). The smoke was waist-high and I couldn't see my feet ... it was like one of those Top Of The Pops shows when the dry-ice machine goes a bit mad!!

Anyway, Mr. Nectarine shut down the airflow and the fire stopped but the 'fog' rolled away from our garden and down over the valley, stopping to surround the house of a distant neighbour who lives at the lowest point of the road. The valley was clear except for this one foggy ball around his house, which lasted about half an hour!

So, professional chimney sweep tomorrow to avoid any further chimney adventures!