Tax Return - Not FAQs

ali-cat

Hello All

Two quick questions on the tax return - not totally covered in the Tax FAQs and I haven't read any discussion in other threads - but apologies if I missed them.

Interest on savings. 

We have to declare interest on savings from two sources - an offshore savings account where the interest is paid gross of tax; and a much smaller amount from our UK current account where tax is already paid.  Is the total amount of interest (gross) entered in box TS of form 2047k regardless of whether of not tax was paid in the UK (the FAQs suggest you can then request your UK bank to pay interest gross in the future) or is there another place on the form to enter interest where tax is already paid?

Plafond Epargne Retraite

Last year's Avis details various allowances before cotisations are due (as I read it) made up of a 2005 figure and then allowances not used in 2004, 2005 and 2006 (we moved to France in mid-2006).  I suspect these have little relevance to us but would appreciate some explanation if anyone has one?

Many thanks in advance

Mr Cat

Interest on savings. 

We have to declare interest on savings from two sources - an

offshore savings account where the interest is paid gross of tax; and a

much smaller amount from our UK current account where tax is already

paid.  Is the total amount of interest (gross) entered in box TS of

form 2047k regardless of whether of not tax was paid in the UK (the

FAQs suggest you can then request your UK bank to pay interest gross in

the future)

The answer is Yes, add all the interest together and enter it on the 2047. Claim any Tax paid  back  from the UK in the usual way.

Many thanks for the help gosub.

Now that the dreaded tax return is out of the way could you perhaps point me in the direction of how to reclaim UK tax in the 'usual way'.  Too many years of PAYE I'm afraid!

Regards

Mr Cat