Does 1970's child benefits = credit years towards pension?

milkeybar kid

I have searched and searched to find an answer, its not there! So, please does anyone know if whilst in the 1970's in the UK when every one with children got paid a subsidy/ allowance at the post office each week until the child reached 16yrs - that 16yrs in effect was a credit and went towards your pension (basic stamp paid) yes / no . I have had this said to me by a number of people that is how they understood the situation  . So, next question - if that is so, one child until 16yrs = E121 for a women because the minimum years of basic contribution is 10 - 11 years . [:D] Mrs MBK confused as ever [8-)]

[quote user="milkeybar kid"]I have searched and searched to find an answer, its not there! So, please does anyone know if whilst in the 1970's in the UK when every one with children got paid a subsidy/ allowance at the post office each week until the child reached 16yrs - that 16yrs in effect was a credit and went towards your pension (basic stamp paid) yes / no . I have had this said to me by a number of people that is how they understood the situation  . So, next question - if that is so, one child until 16yrs = E121 for a women because the minimum years of basic contribution is 10 - 11 years . [:D] Mrs MBK confused as ever [8-)] [/quote]

Don't know the answer, but, like you, would love to find out definitively. My daughter was born in 1972 and I know I did not receive child allowance for her; in fact, nothing until her brother was born in 1975, when I think I remember receiving 96p a week towards his upkeep.

Sue [8-)]

In April '07 I had a pension forecast (not sure if you can get them now if you are not retiring soon), I had my first child in 1978 and then I stopped work I had another in 1980 and I did not work again until 1998 when I started to pay self employed stamp as I now did my hubbies books and wanted to gain a pension in my own right.

I have been awarded 16 years of home responsibilities (HRP) out of a possible 19 years which was the max then! so with the years I had before my children and the years since I have enough for a full pension now.

The rules are changing but here is a link http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/atoz/atozdetailed/homeres.asp and remember it is only available to the person who's name was on the 'child allowance' book.

HRP only started in 1978 so years before that do not count. This is what the pension service website says as from 2010 :

Home Responsibilities Protection (HRP), which is only given for full tax years, will be abolished. Past years of HRP (up to a maximum of 22) will be converted into qualifying years of credits which will count towards basic State Pension.

I'm trying to get a new forecast online but have not yet managed!

So if you were in receipt of child benefit and your name was on the payments in 1978 or later, those years will count towards any pension due, I have not come across any info as to how many years needed for an E121 though sorry.

I stayed at home with my sons from 1985 onwards, received a letter from the pensions department about 10 years ago saying if I wanted to receive a full pension I would need to cover a shortfall of over £1000, did nothing, and received a letter about 2 years ago saying I would now receive a full pension as I had been credited with x number of years for home responsibilities.[:)] Then when we decided to move to France, I rang them to ask would I need to continue to contribute to my pension fund privately, since my husband is some years older than me and I would not have the full 30 years credit required for a full pension if we left Uk when he retired. I was told I could if I wanted to, but it was unnecessary as I would qualify for a full pension on my husband's contributions![8-)]

My children were born in 1967 and 1969. When I worked before that I paid a 'married woman's stamp'. When my children were young I heard on the Jimmy Young show that it was in my interests to register for a full stamp as then you were credited with those years at home looking after children. Of course then when I returned to work I paid a full stamp.

I hope this helps.

[quote user="Jacqui Too "]I have not come across any info as to how many years needed for an E121 though sorry.[/quote]My understanding is that you qualify if you are in receipt of a state pension, the actual amount is irrelevent. I think the minimum for that is 10 years contributions.

The topic has been discussed earlier http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1/1069009/ShowPost.aspx#1069009 and coincidentally it's on the BBC news this morning.

Advice for any of you due to receive HRP - keep all documents that you have received. The Pensions Service tried to claim that Di was only entitled to a lesser amount despite confirmation in writing. It took many phonecalls and photocopies before her full credits were reinstated.

John