reclaming tax

johnycarper

I don't think it's quite as simple as that is it ?

You need to take your worldwide income into account and work out what your tax liability on that would be in France against your present arrangement.

Incidentally, if you are French resident what 'system' in GB do you think you are 'staying on' by paying your pension tax there ?

[quote user="johnycarper"]

Can anyone explain in easy english if it is worth while paying my tax in england or france on my company pension as at present i pay it at source in england.The only reason i do this is to stay on the sytem in GB as at the time of moving it seemed worth while.

[/quote]

FROM HMRC

In order to receive payments of your UK pension without deduction of UK tax, please complete form France/Individual (available from:
www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/cnr/form_france.htm) and send it to your local tax office for certification and forwarding to this office.

I would advise that your do NOT have a choice in the country to which you must pay tax.  You will be liable to tax in your country of residence, and failure to apply for exemption from UK tax may result in your being liable in both countries.

If you have any further queries for the Centre for Non-Residents, please do not hesitate to contact us.  Our office is open Monday -
Friday, 7.30am until 5.00pm.

Yours sincerely

Geoff Gibson

NRI Claims Section
Centre for Non-Residents

You will be retained on the UK tax system and may have to do self assessment tax return for a few years still but that can be used to claim back tax paid in the UK on savings etc

Can anyone explain in easy english if it is worth while paying my tax in england or france on my company pension as at present i pay it at source in england.The only reason i do this is to stay on the sytem in GB as at the time of moving it seemed worth while.

[/quote]

If you are now resident in France, then by law, you must submit a tax declaration to the French tax authorities.  You have no choice in the matter.

You will be taxed here on your UK company pension so you'll need to notify the UK tax people that you are now living abroad.  There is a procedure for having your UK tax code set to zero so that your future pension is paid gross and your back tax repaid from the date of your arrival in France.

Please read the [url=http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1196188/ShowPost.aspx]TAX FAQ[/url] which explains everything for you.

There's more to this.....

From another thread:

We have been told that we can tell the our maire that we have a gite business starting and we can just pay tax as we earn and also still get our health entitlement,at present we are paying the rsi a huge amount of social charges and it is not worth working.we have a pension income from england if this makes a differance.

[/quote]