It's not looking good for 2009

Benjamin

That quote has cheered me up, it has given reason to what I said earlier "things can only get better" or should I now say "things could be worse", at least I am not worried about my job[:)]

I am not sure that I would be reassurered by Gordon's rhetoric if I had one.though. 

Whatever you think of him, his politics or his performance he deserves to be called by his real name.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it funny how sometimes the most effective thing isn't neccessarily the best looking or sounding?

Aesthetics apart is it not quite a good idea to have an ex Chancellor as PM even if you don't agree with their politics? (There are many aspects of Labour Policy I take issue with)

I would venture that to have the best of a bad bunch probably isn't such a bad thing. GB has taken an enormous punt with the GB economy and from here it can go either way. My bet is on a year of doldrums followed by a reasonable recovery. I have heard others suggest 5 years to get back to where we were. Either way I am sure David Cameron would like to get into office to lead an Obamaesque recovery, I hope he doesn't.

I think a bit of faith may be called for here. All Gordon Brown has now is a hat full of promises and an empty cheque book but I think he is made of stern stuff and may just have done enough to keep the wolf from the door if he had allowed UK Banking to collapse all confidence in UK Ltd. on the World stage would be gone and for a long time...Look to Iceland (Yupp fish fingers 99p)  I reckon Gordon Brown is  a bit more clued up on matters financial than I am.

If I am right then the British Taxpayer will have a stake in a much more accountable banking system on the rise. If I am wrong will matters be significantly worse than they are now? the investment will still be there, the wait for the return on it will simply be longer.

I am intrigued that for GB to save the Banks he had to borrow from....errrrr...The Banks...... to do so! funny old world isn't it?

I notice on the Teletext financial page that they put the bad news at the top in large letters.  If there is any good news, it's at the bottom of the first page in the morning, and soon shipped off to the next page.

I also feel that some reporters seem to relish giving us bad news, whatever the topic.  When they almost gloat over lost jobs, I always think "it doesn't need all that many of you to present the news ...".

in fact things seem a little better today. Dealers beleive the European central Bank will lower rates on the 15th. accordingly the euro has weakened slightly against both sterling and the dollar. Just over 1.10 euros to the pound. It seems at last someone has remembered things are not too good in Europe either. Brits have always been happier knocking ourselves and not looking at the whole picture.

I notice on the Teletext financial page that they put the bad news at the top in large letters.  If there is any good news, it's at the bottom of the first page in the morning, and soon shipped off to the next page.

I also feel that some reporters seem to relish giving us bad news, whatever the topic.  When they almost gloat over lost jobs, I always think "it doesn't need all that many of you to present the news ...".  Angelite

I couldn't agree more Angelite!

I note under local news on their web site they have a top heading 'Teachers facing redundancy' - clicking on it,  it's a Wilts. school of 98 staff considering getting rid of 3 teachers because of a pupil number drop.

BBC reporters - yes far too many :  Four to present the news - 2 news, 1 sports news, 1 weather news and all on BIG salaries & relatively secure jobs too.

But then I am not happy to pay so much to the BBC for so much stuff I wouldn't watch (soaps),  so many repeats, repeats , repeats...    and low grade stuff with foul-mouthed 'celebrities',   also over- paid.  Time some of the big names there were made redundant - like Wossie.

At least we can choose to subscribe to Sky etc.

I do like the 'Grumpy' programmes however,     I can relate to them - perhaps I am one ??

Regards

Tegwini