Minimum amount when paying with Debit Card

Benjamin

A retailer is not obliged to accept payment by cheque or by credit card

(except in some cases when obliged by law, for example if the amount

exceeds € 3 000).

The retailer who accepts payments by card has the right to refuse

transactions for small amounts, provided the customers are informed.

The decision may be governed by the amount the retailer has to pay to the bank in fees, sometimes up to 2 or 3% of the value of the transaction.

[quote user="Anton Redman"] and the time the till is tied up also need taking into account.[/quote]

I nearly fell off the chair with laughter at this Anton.

OK I go with the phone call but you've obviously never been in a supermarket queue behind all the elderly French who still think that a cheque is the only way to pay. They take forever!!!!!!!!

"What? You want paying?"

"Now where have I put it?"

Rummage, rummage, rummage.

"Have you got a pen?"

"Thanks" Signs cheque.

Views the printed cheque with great suspicion and then asks.

"Have you got a pen".

Then fills in cheque book stub (why not do it from the till receipt when you get home you daft old bat?)

If the retailers are getting charges for accepting debit cards (which they pass on in the prices anyway) why does everyone who has one also have to pay the bank for the priviledge of having one?

Plus it must be so much cheaper for all concerned to automatically handle a computerised transaction than to handle cheques (Germany and Luxembourg? have stopped using them).

I'm still as confused as ever.  [:(]

Yes, I was at Carrefour today in the shortest queue - which turned out as always to be the longest one.

first customer paid by cheque which took forever.

second customer produced good old cash which you would think would be quite speedy = but no,

"it is 35 euros 25 - have you got the odd change?"

"Yeah, got the 5 euros but not the 25 cents"

big sigh.

out comes a 200 euro note - "ah, desolee, monsieur, i have to phone a supervisor for a note of that value"

Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!!!!!!!!!!

When it eventually came to my turn, my credit beat everyone handsdown!

[quote user="bubbles"]out comes a 200 euro note[/quote]In 2years of living in France and best part of a year travelling in the country, and Germany also, I cannot recall ever seeing a €200 note !

I use my debit card for most things but in all honesty would feel a bit embarrased paying for anything less than say €20 with it. Irrational but just me I suppose, I've certainly seen many people spend less on one.

[quote user="Lou"]Used my debit card in Leader Price yesterday to pay for 4.61 worth - no problem

[/quote]

And I have used mine in our local Shopi to buy a loaf of bread for 1€05 - no joke. I was uncertain that they would say yes, but they did when I explained that my purse was still on the worktop at home, but for some bizarre reason, my French debit card was in the (almost empty) coin well of my car.

Sue [:)]

[quote user="Benjamin"][quote user="Anton Redman"] and the time the till is tied up also need taking into account.[/quote]

I nearly fell off the chair with laughter at this Anton.

OK I go with the phone call but you've obviously never been in a supermarket queue behind all the elderly French who still think that a cheque is the only way to pay. They take forever!!!!!!!!

"What? You want paying?"

"Now where have I put it?"

Rummage, rummage, rummage.

"Have you got a pen?"

"Thanks" Signs cheque.

Views the printed cheque with great suspicion and then asks.

"Have you got a pen".

Then fills in cheque book stub (why not do it from the till receipt when you get home you daft old bat?)

If the retailers are getting charges for accepting debit cards (which they pass on in the prices anyway) why does everyone who has one also have to pay the bank for the priviledge of having one?

Plus it must be so much cheaper for all concerned to automatically handle a computerised transaction than to handle cheques (Germany and Luxembourg? have stopped using them).

I'm still as confused as ever.  [:(]

[/quote]

Agree with Angelite - Benjamins post sums up France - it certainly cures you of being in a hurry.

Supermarket checkouts are another thing - one large one we sometimes use (there must be 20 checkouts) may have just two open and large queues. Often think of what the comments from those in the queue would be if this was the UK. But no, everyone stands there quietly until it is their turn, and they do not look stoned [:D]

Still, it must be the case that a far smaller proportion of French are in financial difficulties because of idiotic lending policies and practices in the UK and the more controlled French.