Dumb Question

Suninfrance

Me and himself have been here 5 years now, but there is still some confusion over the Taxe D'habitation and Taxe Fonciere.

Having been hauled across the coals 2 years ago by the horrible man at the tax office re our D'habitation, (no previous owner of our house had declared any alterations and he wouldn't believe us when we told them we brought the house with 4 rooms, sanitation and electricity).  We had the guy round to take measurements for the new tax form and were told that our taxe d'habitation would increase.  So we fully expected a new bill which would be much inflated.  However, we are still paying the same amount for the d'habitation. 

Yesterday however, we got a VERY much inflated bill for our Taxe Fonciere!!!  Has our tax office got it wrong yet again.

Please can someone explain to me in "French Tax for Dummies" language what each of these taxes are for?

I am also told that because we are below the income threshold for tax we do not have to pay one or other (or both).  I am very, very confused.

Jan

When we came to France, our vendor was paying a very small amount.  We had alterations and ended up paying much more, even though there were the same amount of rooms. Four times almost which we expected but still less than what we were paying in UK.  He was also on a reduced bill as he was in his eighties.  I would, if I were you, ask the neighbours what they are paying, if there is a similar sized house near you.

Hi,

Taxe d'habitation is the equivalent of UK council tax and pays for local services like minor roads ,street lights ,commune employees etc.It is paid by the occupier.

Taxe fonciere is the equivalent of the old UK "schedule A -property tax" , which no longer exists. It is a tax on the owner of property ,treating property as an investment, and charging the tax on the theoretical rental value.

If you qualify for exemption from either or both of these taxes under the (very complicated) income and age rules, this is usually picked up by the tax office from the details on your income tax declaration, and applied automatically.

If you think you qualify, ask at the tax office (taking a copy of your last income tax declaration).

Thanks all - that helps.  And thanks parsnips for your "no tax-speak" reply.  I don't know why I got so confused.  Easy to do these days I'm afraid.

I understand now why our tax d'habitation has remained low, as we have no street lights, dustbin service, etc.  We do have a minor road though. 

Not many neighbours either, we are a  bit "rural".

I think we may need to take a trip see the horrid man at the tax office again, but this time, maybe take along someone with better french and knowledge of the system to help with a bit of translation for us, although we do know now that the guy speaks very good English.

Thanks again all.

Jan