Rabbit or Hare

No, not for eating!  

Went for a 40 kms bike ride in the "Marais Breton" yesterday.  Lovely sea/marsh landscape teaming with birds and water fowl.  Great going one way but the wind had got up for the return.  Anyhow, cycling along a track with a ditch on one side full of water, I spotted this little chap just crouched in the windswept grass.  I carefully got of the bike and took his/her picture.  They were not fazed at all.  

I have seen many rabbits but never a hare so close up.  Google lens says hare, but there may be those better versed in lagomorphs who can clarify.

image.thumb.jpeg.1e9aac5624b2ca7a9e26c8866689dda7.jpeg

IMG_20240307_114309.jpg

The first thing I did while reading your post was to look up “Lagomorph” which was interesting in itself. I think it is a young hare with quite short ears ……or maybe a young rabbit with longish ears. 
Thanks for the view of the countryside that your are enjoying. It is not very crowded with people is it?

23 hours ago, Hectorsdad said:

It is not very crowded with people is it

There was a very bracing wind, which perhaps explains the lack of people.  We were passed by two cyclists on the way back, the only ones we saw.  It was very interesting country/seaside to be in.  The tide was well out as you can see.

That said, the café we stopped at for a coffee at the half way point was packed with people eating lunch.

21 hours ago, menthe said:

I lean towards hare.

Having looked at the colouration in your post Menthe, I lean towards a young hare too.  The bones for the back legs to me also looked very pronounced as well.