TAX FONCIERE

Angie

Good evening

We received planning permission for our new build in August 2005 but construction did not start til 2007 and was completed in June 2008.  I have recently read (on this forum) that tax fonciere is not payable for 2 years after the completion of a new build.  However, we paid half year tax last year (October 2008) and have received a full year's bill for 2009 (to be paid by October).  Can someone confirm whether the 2 year rule is true.  I am beginning to wonder whether the 2 years perhaps applies from the date of the planning permission rather than the date the house was completed.  There was nothing underhand to avoid tax in the long build time, just the incompetence of the builder!!

Many thanks

Under this exemption of tax, does a property classifiy as new build in the same way one would be so classified under renovation, for the purposes of capital gains when sold? ie more than 60% of flooring altered/extended and so on.

Or literally, new from ground upwards?

Annie

From the FAQ's on the same site.

You will still pay a small percentage of the T.F. as mentioned on the website, are you sure that you are not paying, the 2nd installemnt of the "green tax" that all new builds have to pay?

The tax exemption, if applicable starts from the date you inform the mairie of the completion.

I am only at the architect stage atm but it will be renovation not new build. My French is still limited to picking the bones from text so I translated the text you initially referred to, hence didn't look thr rest. Thank you though, I will bookmark and look later.

Thank you gosub for the invaluable link - I have today spoken to the government office concerned but they insist that the amount of 421 euros is correct.  Apparently they confirmed that we do not pay for the first 2 years but apparently this is for refuse collection only.  Seems very high to me as we are only there for 4 weeks a year and there are only 2 of us.  Goodness knows how much the full taxe fonciere will be once the two year period is up if this proves to be correct.

[quote user="Steve"]I have today spoken to the government office concerned but they insist that the amount of 421 euros is correct.  Apparently they confirmed that we do not pay for the first 2 years but apparently this is for refuse collection only. [/quote]

Taxe ordures ménagères in our area is about 22% of the taxe foncière; but this does vary from area to area. We live in a tourist area so do have our rubbish collected every day for almost all of the year. 

Sue

[quote user="Steve"] Seems very high to me as we are only there for 4 weeks a year and there are only 2 of us. [/quote]

One of the facts of life of having a holiday home is that you pay full whack for TF/TdH (once any reduction/exemption for a new build comes to an end). There are no pro-rata reductions for leaving it unoccupied for much of the year. That's just the way it is. Permanent residents may receive some reduction depending on their status.

Regards

Pickles

I've just looked up a survey of costs  for 2008; the average  was €731 for taxe d'H and €771 for taxe F. The highest outside Paris was Sete, at 2166€ for both!

I believe taxe fonciere is based on notional rent; our small place wouldn't bring in much rent, whereas somewhere bigger with lots of rooms, bathrooms etc would bring in more.

I remember a neighbour trying to get us to leave things off our form, such as a washbasin in the small WC room - telling us we'd be mad to be asking for extra tax!Big Smile [:D]

Jo

Taxe fonciere for our very modest house in a 60's lotissement,  in a run-down little town is about the same as yours, Sprogster. Taxe fonciere varies according to what the mayor does for the town and the commune. Our mayor likes to renovate and update the town, to provide summer activities, keep the roads in good order, to have a stadium and sports centre, etc.... and we pay through the nose for it. In the next commune, where the mayor does nothing for the place, where there is no swimming pool, no activities, very badly kept roads, the taxe fonciere is less than half of what it is here.[:'(]

Ours is a small touristy town, very busy in the holiday seasons. The mayor also does a lot in the town, as with 5-element, with lovely new pavements in the old town and many old buildings being renovated. I can't say the roads are in a marvellous state, and street cleaning is almost non-existent outside the old town and boulevards - we're a 5-minute walk away from the old town, and I've been known to take a broom out into the street and pick up rubbish when I can't stand it any longer! The mayor is also trying to keep dog mess down - a great idea! A big update on the bull ring is under way, and there are several sports centres.

I'm pleased out taxe F is low - obviously- but can't understand why it is so low after reading comments here. We'll be back there in a couple of days, so I'll be off to chat to the neighbours about it, try to make sense of it. If it's really meant to be so low, I'll go on my way rejoicing! But I'd like to be sure.

Jo

I'm told that Montpellier's TF and TdH are very high - around 1600 € for each tax for a 100 sq m apartment. Presumably it is paying for the trams, the various subventions, eventual new TGV line, eventual new A9, etc etc.

At the other extreme, I understand that the cheapest place is Neuilly ... now, I wonder who used to be the mayor THERE?

Regards

Pickles

A little bit off post, but does anyone know what is the Taxe Fonciere year?  All the bills seem to come out at the end of August and this year's refers to 2009 but indicates that it covers part of 2010.  The final date for payment is October 2009.

The Taxe d'Habitation bills are clearer, they run from January to January.

Am I right in thinking that TF runs September to August in each period?