which small car....a long shot

menthe

Since I managed to write off my car, I have felt at a loose end as it's the first time since my early 20s when I have no car of my own.

It hasn't mattered the last 3 month as I have been medically advised not to drive.  Now, I am hoping that in a few days' time I will be told that I will be able to drive again.

So now looking for a small runaround.  I still have access to the "family" car and therefore a little fun car will be just the ticket.

Would like an automatic (have had an automatic for about 4 decades) and maybe an electric one though the latter is not essentialL

If anyone has one to sell, please get in touch.  If any car enthusiasts have suggestions as to the best small car, please let me know.

As an aside, I bought my last car through someone on the forum.  The owner of the car had died but someone knew which garage it was at so we took a long trip up to near Royan to get it.

I don't know how helpful this will be, but we bought a 2019 Twingo in 2021.  Due to Covid, it only had 5100 kms on it.  It had the biggest available motor (for Twingo's), so we could easily drive it on the autoroute.  It is an essence vehicle, so not electric like you mentioned.

I think it is an exceptional little car.  I can park anywhere, drive on these tiny country, hilltop roads without much concern.  It has a lot of pep and can reach a fast speed very quickly.  I find it comfortable to sit in and to drive.  We have a manual drive and the clutch is exceptional on hills.

🙂

Thanks Banane.  Looked at a hybrid Yaris and we hired an Aygo once, so will revisit.

I do like Kia cars, my OTHER car is a Hyundai😆

The crazy thing is new cars now cost less than good little-used second-hand ones.  A friend in Poole bought a new electric Leaf after getting quite a bit more for her old car than she paid for it.

Wools, have you seen the prices on cars lately?  I wonder if I waited a few months whether more used cars will come on the market and prices might be lower?

I have no idea, Minteroonie though with rates for borrowing money high, I am not sure more used cars will be forthcoming. I have been thinking of changing my manual Kia for an automatic but was gonna wait after New Year to look around. My present Kia, a Rio, (my second), was bought during the Covid shutdown when few people were looking so I got a good price for a low mileage car.

Most of the reliability reports suggest that Japanese and Korean cars are the most reliable. By the way, Hyundai and Kia are the same company. Many of their cars are designed for the European market and built here. The Yaris, for example is made near Valenciennes, northern France.

Yes Wools, I know Kia and Hyundai are the same company and that's why I mentioned Hyundai.

I have had 2 Hyundais, the first one I sold here in France when it got to aged 22 and I was given a new Hyundai as a present.  I still see my old bagnole looking nippy being driven around town.

Have had Toyotas and Mazdas as well.  Took me a while to convince OH that other cars than German ones are reliable but now even he has been won over.

The reliablility is unbelievably good and they tend to come with extras, bells and whistles, as standard.