Pyromania - what to do about offenders?

ssomon

I have no idea.  Dozens of fires are started deliberately, occasionally by volunteer fire fighters themselves:

https://www.rfi.fr/en/france/20220729-who-is-setting-fire-to-france-s-forests-and-why-arson-pyromania

This punishment quoted in the article seems, regrettably to have fallen out of favour

"Making the distinction was important, he says, since arsonists were often sentenced to death."

And then you have those who throw their fag ends out of car windows, or just by the side of the road without a thought of the potential risks (if they cannot figure out the danger to themselves, then other effects will not enter their heads)

Those who put out their BBQs by throwing the embers on the ground, or throw glass bottles away which can start fires.

Before we moved to our house in Normandy the orchard grass grew long and dry in the summer.  My aunt (an ex head teacher in Manchester) on a holiday there thought the most expeditious way to "cut it" was to set fire to it!  Luckily the other people with her got it under control.

My faith in humanity decreases day after day.

• 1 month later...
On 13/08/2023 at 00:29, ssomon said:

There are individuals who indiscriminately discard their cigarette butts from car windows or alongside roads, displaying a lack of consideration for the potential hazards involved. It is evident that these individuals fail to comprehend the personal risks associated with such actions, hence neglecting to consider any broader consequences.