Party walls

Contemplating the move to France.

Found a suitable and lovely property but according to the cadastral many of the house walls and barn walls even the roof share with other buildings not belonging.

In the UK you can see a semi detached house and you know its a party wall but in France the buildings seems haphazard at best.

What is the legal position with such walls and roofs that share owners? 

chateaubriant, you won't like my answer but I like to think I am being helpful!!

In the UK, this type of property when part of your house is under the roof of the neighbours or vice versa, is called a flying freehold and there are laws and regulations governing access and responsibility and so forth.

Here in France, the notaire will spell out in detail what is the respective responsibility and access of all parties concerned.   And all the details will be shown on the final and legal document of sale. However, if someone is determined to ignore the regulations, it is unlikely that you could do anything about it.

We had something similar with our first house.  Shared access of the driveway and OH irresponsibly (in my opinion) and over generously offered to share the fosse on our land with the neighbours.  When the neighbours sold and new people arrived, they took liberties and it got so stressful that we ourselves sold up.

Mind you, the sale was far from straightforward as we had to resolve the difficulties.  In the end, because I had friends in high places, I got a notice served on the neighbour and he had to build a new fosse on his own land.

Sorry for such a long drawn out answer.  But that's just an illustration that anything "shared" with neighbours is a definite no-no.  DON'T buy the property however lovely and suitable.