Foreign exchange companies

Mr Coeur de Lion

We all know of companies outside France that will give us better deals than banks for exchanging into euros and sending to our French accounts, but can anyone recommend French companies that do the same, sending euros out of the country?

CA seems very expensive to use (they want €40 for a start just to send, plus no doubt their exchange rate won't be the greatest) and I'm just exploring other alternatives.

So if anyone could recommend a good exchange company, I'd be very grateful.

I know it's the other way round but, a few weeks ago I needed money bringing from UK to France. I did all the sums using Moneycorp etc.etc. and I found the cheapest and best exchange rate was posting a sterling cheque to CA (Britline). Yes they charged 37.44 euro to do the transaction, but coming the other way via say Moneycorp I would have paid 15 quid to them for the transaction and another 25 to Halifax for a Chaps transfer to the Moneycorp account. Also the exchange rate was better by far at CA that anywhere else. If you phone and ask for the exchange rate of the day, you way well be surprised - I was [:)]

[quote user="Nell"]  they charged 37.44 euro to do the transaction, but coming the other way via say Moneycorp I would have paid 15 quid to them for the transaction and another 25 to Halifax for a Chaps transfer to the Moneycorp account. [/quote]

Makes Nationwide @ £25 seem positively a  bargain

I would suppose that it would depend on how much is being sent too when comparing prices.

HSBC UK to France has cost me around £10 and £15 in the past. My usual transfer from France to the UK is four or five euros.

It is not just the 'charge' that is at play, it is the exchange rate given and if it is a advantageous it could more than pay what appears to be hefty charges.

What about paypal, have you considered that?

[quote user="just john "]

[quote user="Nell"]  they charged 37.44 euro to do the transaction, but coming the other way via say Moneycorp I would have paid 15 quid to them for the transaction and another 25 to Halifax for a Chaps transfer to the Moneycorp account. [/quote]

Makes Nationwide @ £25 seem positively a  bargain

[/quote]

Not really - I had to get it from the Halifax, so 25 to Halifax AND 25 to Natiowide, or 25 to Halifax AND 15 to Moneycorp.....