New exit tax?

Aly

[quote user="Aly"]For info: http://www.connexionfrance.com/Tax-exile-exit-capital-gains-profit-Europe-court-ISF-IRF-12571-view-article.html.

What will they think of next?
[/quote]

I don't have a problem with tax exiles being clobbered, after all it's mainly the rich who dodge tax. Ordinary working people probably pay a higher rate of tax pro rata  than the well off. If all the tax avoidance schemes and scams for the rich were stopped the rest of us who pay what is asked of us would be better off.

Why the heck should people pay tax if there are honest ways of not doing so? Strange as it may seem, the money that is spent by governments is not theirs but belongs to the poor 'uggers who have to dip into their pockets. There is no right to tax, but there certainly a duty to spend other people's money wisely, a duty honoured in the breach far too often.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Why the heck should people pay tax if there are honest ways of not doing so? Strange as it may seem, the money that is spent by governments is not theirs but belongs to the poor 'uggers who have to dip into their pockets. There is no right to tax, but there certainly a duty to spend other people's money wisely, a duty honoured in the breach far too often.[/quote]

If nobody paid tax how would the country exist? The discussion is about tax exiles, not what governments do with tax. The richer members of society have the money and influence to "avoid" tax that the ordinary tax paying working man doesn't have. It's an unfair advantage and all I am saying is; the sooner the tax loop holes are closed the better it will be for the ordinary folk like me. Remember Mr Vesty? a millionaire and paid a few pounds a year in tax, still in your middle class life Wooly he's probably one of your heroes. [:P]

Hi,

This notion which has been floated as a possible element in the coming reform, appears only to be aimed at owners of businesses transferring their residence to other countries (Belgium has been specifically mentioned as it is a favorite destination for tax evading businesses). The idea would be to tax the latent capital gain within the owner's share holding at the time he left french jurisdiction. I am not sure how Brussels would view this in the light of the "free movement of persons , goods and capital" in europe.

So you slave your guts out for 50 plus years building a business, survive all the faeces that the French State throws you, then, when you want a few years without them on your back, want to leave a bit to your kids, you sell up and they wanna grab a chunk of your dosh, and it won't be a small chunk.

My point stands; the State has become a proxonete, taking huge chunks of earnings and profits, and now it wants to get under the bed and steal the money you have put aside selling your business because you wanna leave the country.

And what are they gonna spend it on? How many ministers have grace and favour accommodation in Central Paris which they keep for life?

Better cut spending by 20%!

Taxes are about being fair which includes fair expenditure; current governments are greedy, vicious and unscrupulous in wasting the money they have gleaned from taxpayers. States are profligate and unscrupulous. These people wish no more than to take their money, legally, to another part of Europe to avoid being screwed by the most unaccountable, unscrupulous government in Europe! They have already paid their dues, no second bite of the cherry. Like death duties which are like a whore wanting to be paid twice.

I take your word about paying whores twice Wooly, I'm sure your more experienced in that department than I am. Like it or not we all, and I mean all have to pay our taxes. All the loop holes for tax avoiders must be closed otherwise who will educate the children, build the hospitals etc.? The peasants can't do it all on our own, so it's about time your mates paid up. [:D]

The problem with taxation of capital is that it tends not to generate a constant reliable tax revenue stream.

A much better idea is to take a large group of people then make them pay larger pension contributions, also make them work longer before qualifying for a pension, and also pay them less pension.

A triple whammy with the tax revenue being directed to capital injections to banks, technically bakrupt, to meet their statutory capital requirements.[:-))]

[quote user="woolybanana"]Why the heck should people pay tax if there are honest ways of not doing so? Strange as it may seem, the money that is spent by governments is not theirs but belongs to the poor 'uggers who have to dip into their pockets. There is no right to tax, but there certainly a duty to spend other people's money wisely, a duty honoured in the breach far too often.[/quote]

Hi wooly,

I sense a kindred spirit. I recommend you have a look at the site of  www.lecri.fr  run by "contribuables associés" an association which fights against excessive taxes and government profligacy. But if you are prone to high blood pressure , go easy, as many of the examples they quote are truly astonishing--like the commune of about 2000 inhabitants which spent over a million € on a "cultural centre"!   

I think this double taxation is unlikely to come to fruition as it would impact freedom of movement plus its already been tried and kicked out . Society needs businesses to grow and thrive. The entire nation cannot work for the state as civil servants.

Private enterprise and individuals need to be encouraged not penalised. We have a friend, a decorator, he is so busy that you have to book him for a job in at least 10 months ahead. But he has quit preferring to work for the state painting schools. Less pay but he has holidays, healthcare etc and a lot less hassle.He cannot afford to employ an assistant  as the social charges are to high and he is anxious about having the responsibility that comes with employment rights.

Thinks are changing, the next year should be interesting. Sarkozy is keen to harmonise tax with Germany as Frances Fortunes and politics are interlinked with those of its neighbour. I wonder how our rights my be affected in the future - Areas like health care for example and a growing elderly ex pat population. Will  French tax payers be prepared to subsidise these groups in the long term.The Spanish have made big changes and there is growing resentment that hundreds of thousands are benefiting from a health system they contribute little too. One French parliamentarian stated abt the UK they have all our young people and we have all there elderly.

But they also forget to mention that the British Government is paying for the health care of the over 65s.

It seems odd that no French politician has bothered to really ask why their youngsters go abroad and next, what they have to do to get them to stay.

Just as the French and Germans have begun bullying the Irish to raise their corporation tax rate rate to the same as theirs. Such arrogance and stupidity. As if there is only one way to do these things.