Compromis de Vente just arrived

jen

Still in a state of unbelief that we will soon be owning a tiny bit of France! Really excited but terribly scared at the same time.

The immobilier has provided us with a general translation of most parts pf the compromis but should we find a translator to read it through for with us and is there anything wlse we need to be aware of?

The electricity and water was cut off a year ago - how much notice do we have to give the companies to have it reconnected.

If your French is not up to fully understanding the CdV, then definitely get it professionally translated.  Rough, abridged, or main biuts translations are not enough.  This is a legal document you are about to sign and you should undertsand exactly what it is you are signing - just like in the UK.

PS congratulations

A translation will only go so far if you dont know what to expect.  My french is limited yet I put my CdV through a couple of translation programmes and got away with most of it because I had thoroughly researched what was expected to be included and why.  There were a couple of bits I didnt recognise and the english speaking assistant to the notaire talked me through both what was included and why it was there.

If I had not done the research I am not sure even a perfect translation would have been enough.

PS Good luck - I can feel your excitement through your short post.

Although I spoke reasonable French, the Notaire was under an obligation to make sure that I understood everything of the transaction (Acte de Vente) and so appointed a translator (at my expense). I probably could have managed by myself but I think he wanted to make sure there was no comeback on him. Cost me 50 euros. Depends how complicated the purchase is.

The sellers of our house (English) were using the local Notaire who did not speak English. We appointed one a little way away who spoke English.

The signing of the Acte took place at the sellers Notaire and our Notaire sent his assistant (although the agent (English) needed to assist him a little with the translation).

The final signing took place at our Notaires. Around the table was our Notaire, the sellers, us the buyers and the agent (all either English with the excpetion of our Notaire who has excellent Englsih), the sellers Notaire and the agency owner neither of whom speak English. The proceedings were carried out in English with our Notaire occassionally stopping to translate something he had said in to French for the benefit of the agency owner and the other Notaire.

I had been sent vairous documents which the on-line translation programs made a very reasonable job of translating.

Paul