Carbs in French?

SusanGottfried

OK, chemistry (lite) and French lesson coming up.

Carbohydrates are sugar molecules. However, it was found they do not contain 'hydrates' in a standard chemical form.  With this in mind, unlike English speakers, the French adopted an alternative word:- Glucides.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

On 09/04/2023 at 22:10, cajal said:

Carbohydrates are sugar molecules.

Not quite. Remember the simple experiment of chewing a piece of bread until it tastes sweet?

Starch (carbohydrates) is the stored form of sugars in plants. The starch in the seeds provides food for the embryo as it germinates while the starch that is consumed by humans is broken down by the enzymes in saliva and later in the stomach into smaller molecules, such as maltose and glucose. The human stomach can then absorb the glucose.

If I say "les carbos" to my French friends, they seem to understand exactly.  Mind you, most of my friends are into gym, pilates, nordic walking etc and so might be better attuned to talk of carbohydrates in relation to diet and exercise.

• Like 1

It is noted as glucides on packs (in the same way that carbs are) in the nutritional info. So, as a diabetic, it is that info that you will need. However, in France I am not sure that you could much use the word in a restaurant, for example.

I have diabetes but would never use the word glucides in a restaurant. I use my experience to assess how much insulin to take according to the meal. (Not that I always get it right!). I would not expect the staff to be able to give me sufficiently detailed information to better inform me - especially during busy service.