Villages within about an hour and half drive of La Rochelle

We're about to go on another househunting trip - and defined our "ideal" area being within about an hour & a half to 2 hours drive of La Rochelle.

We're looking to be close to village / small town with junior school, bakers, butchers, bar / tabac etc

We're open to suggestions - we'll use our home for holidays between now and summer 06 - when we can make the move permenant.

We don't want to be right on the coast - and as we live in a small village now - we don't want to be in a big town.

We'll be moving with our youngest son who will be 10 - our older two being safely off our hands either at university or experiencing the world of work- and who are keen to be able to come out for plenty of weekend visits.

All suggestions greatfully received

Can recommend some good agents in charente and vende if you want to pm me. Don't want to post, incase I'm advertising. We have used a couple of them and the rest have been excellent when taking us out to view. Can also tell you about the not so good

>- our older two being
>safely off our hands either
>at university or experiencing the
>world of work- and who
>are keen to be able
>to come out for plenty
>of weekend visits.

With this in mind then consider easy access to La Rochelle and Bordeaux airports (maybe Limoges and Poitiers as well depending how far inland you go) For the train Angouleme (and La Rochelle I think) have TGV trains. Of course it depends where the older two are based for work or university. They may qualify for under 26yrs discounts.
Gill

There are plenty of pretty villages and small towns to choose from in Charente Maritime - you'll be spoilt for choice. We are near to Surgeres which is a thriving market town with a good range of shops, schools and all other facilities.

Message in your in-box.

John and Angie Moore (17)