the resistance oin the charente

hello

if anyone has any information on resistance activities during the war specifically related to the area around chasseneuil / ruffec / mansle / champagne mouton - i'd be grateful in hearing from you... i am researching for a book currently and have as much as i can find on (for example) the 'cockleshell heroes' - ruffec but not a lot more... if anyone knows of any useful www links that'd be handy too...

thanks

neil.

Are you there at the moment? If so, the local tourist office/syndicat d'initiative might be able to aim you at organisations of ancient combattants/resistants. If not, they will possible be able to tell you of any local history books which cover the topic. They may have prepared materials for the 60th anniversary of the end of the war, and these might still be available.

An excellent book on the resistance is 'Trafics et Crimes Sous l'Occupation' by Jacques Delarue - old (1968) but excellent. I remember sections on Oradour sur Glane and the destruction of the old town at Marseilles, but I'm away from the book at the moment and can't look up which other areas are covered.

You might also find something at this website

http://www.musee-henriqueuille.com/1024/vf/media/gm/france.html

I can also put you in contact with Yves Buffetaut who is a researcher and writer on the subject, if you wish, but I prefer to do that by PM.

Went on one of the Friday randonees at Benest last week and the guy leading the walk is a local historian and has written books about the resistance in this area. He showed us the farmhouse where the guys sheltered for 42 (?) days.

You might like to join the group one Friday (2pm at the cemetery) and talk to him.....a mine of information.

If  you go to the  monument  at   Chasseneuil  , there  is a  map on the  wall  showing the  resistance action  . When i   signed the   vistors  book  ,  there were  several    lines  written  by   ex local  fighters  and   their  addresses  now . This  may a good   place to  start .

There are a lot of good books  in the book  shop  in  Chasseneuil  and the   local Marie  may also  help .

Doug H