Your opinion of La Creche

Me again - one of the houses which we're viewing next week is in La Creche.

I think it's difficult to get a real feel for a place when it's just a rushed viewing - but we're under pressure to find something so my OH can begin work at the French office, so I was wondering if there's any member who is either living in La Creche, or nearby who would be willing to share their opinion of it.

Good or bad, we'd like to know.  Thanks.

Don't know it that well but pass through it a lot on the way to Niort. A bit close to the motorway but quite a few shops and, as said before, handy for Niort, St Maixent L'Ecole and the A10. Has a small market each week. One long strip (N11) and some private houses on each side of this. Seems to lack a centre but has quite a few shopping areas around it. Prefer St Maixent and La Motte, Melle and other local towns. Think that it has developed around the N11 and lacks an identity a bit but I don't know it that well. I would have a longer look if possible......................John not Jackie

Hi Naps,

Friends of ours were looking for a house and used an agent (French but speaks a bit of English) in St Maixent, who helped us to buy our home in La Mothe St Heray. He said he wouldn't recommend living in La Creche, even though he had places for sale there.  We don't know it well as we don't need to go through it often but there are many nearby villages with bags of character as well as commerces.  (our friends ended up at the other end of our road)

Have you thought about renting for a while to give you longer to find your ideal location? Also, did you get the PM I sent you?

We are only going to be renting as we're planning to be in France for only 3 years and we have only just got on the property ladder here in Holland a year ago.  All the available properties seem to be in La Creche - we're looking for 4 bedrooms and a garden and it seems to be a high demand.

We've struggled to find accommodation for this trip so have provisionally booked a hotel in Niort, in hope that some gite accommodation may be available and are planning viewings for all day Thursday and Friday.

Let's hope it all falls into place eventually. 

[quote]Me again - one of the houses which we're viewing next week is in La Creche. I think it's difficult to get a real feel for a place when it's just a rushed viewing - but we're under pressure to find so...[/quote]

25+years ago it did not have much to say about itself and I think it is still the same.. Just a dormitory town for Niort.

But then (sorry biased I am) the whole of 79 is rather sleepy.

If you want that sort of life...

If you don't find your dream house in La Creche, I know one for sale near Melle

I'll give you the contact person's details if you are interested. It will need a fair amount of work to it before you move in though!.

Happy hunting!

Thanks for all the comments.  We made it to Deux Sevres and viewed a house in La Creche which is just perfect for us.  The village itself may not be fantastic or quaint, but the location of the house and it's distance from the office are great.  It's modern, clean, a good size, with a large secure garden, and available immediately - so it ticked all our boxes.  It's ours from 1 June!!

Perhaps if this 3 year secondment turns permanent we'll look for something which we'd prefer to own, but for now we're happy with our rental in La Creche.