I take it by a "lift thingy" you mean a pole that holds the board on the ceiling while you nail it. I away use a piece of floorboard in the shape of a "tee" , Make the prop 1" higher than the ceiling. You can lift up the board and trap it in place with the prop. If you make the "tee" piece about 2ft long it works fine.

Link below is to the 'mutts knuts' to lapse into Top Gear speak of plasterboard lifters. The middle ground for lifting 'placoplaitre' are readily available to hire in France ( probably easier than UK) but you will probably have to search under 'location' in 'Pages Jaune' on line. The middle ground machine have 'cogged' belts and make it possible to put up 3 by 1.2 boards single handed.

http://www.levpano.com/francais/Ref/levpanoEl.htm

SJL Location aka St Julien Location hire out plaster board lifters but they do not do a picture of it.

Lève plaque (placoplatre) 4 m

Blimey ngh, the thing you use is a dead man and I still have a couple made up from metal rails but the machine that Anton posts is superb.

We have hired them a few times over the years here, you need a clear floor area obviously but it really does make it so easy. A tip if you want to give the machine back a little earlier, is to put enough screws in each board to hold it sturdily and then move on to the next board, finishing putting the rest of the screws in later. Mind you, they are not that expensive to hire and some are actually "hydraulic" not electric lifters.

I bought 4 some time ago for some old mates in London, to enable their chaps to get on with the office partition work, before the machines were readily available in the UK.