Moving to France

My husband & I (& the 3 cats) are moving to France next summer.  We had decided to move to Poitou Charentes, but now my hubby has taken a fancy to the Languedoc region.  Can someone please tell me what it is like (weather, life in general etc.) in Poitou in the different seasons as I really want to get him back onto the area again!! Any information would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Hello

I moved to the Poitou Charente this summer, in dept 79.  It is beautiful and warm in the summer.  I live in a rural area, its beautiful  watching the sunflowers bloom. I am only an hour from the sea.  Now in December it is cold, as most of France is this time of year.  I have spent a lot of time in the Aude around this time of  year and it is very cold there.  I don't think you will find it warm anywhere in France in the winter.  No doubt I will be told if otherwise!  The people where I live are friendly and very supportive.  My husband still works in the UK and travelling is fairly swift by road 5 hours (new peage between Alencon and Rouen a god send) and by air, we use BA at Nantes-Gatwick or Ryan air Poitiers-Stanstead.  We have several options.  We have three children at varying stages of school.  All have intergrated well and now do not want to return to school in the UK. 

I think ultimately, wherever you are you can make it good or bad.  You have to do your homework, we are learning as we haven't.  I don't think it matters where you are, if you love France and all that is French you will be happy where ever you are.  For me I am in an idyllic area,   I just wish my husband were here more often to share it with me.

Good luck to where ever you choose.  If you want to ask any other questions about the Poitou Charente I will be only to happy to help.

Regards

Dotty

Crikey! Poitou Charentes is a large chunk covering 4 departements,each varied! We have our homes in dept 17 (Charente Maritime) and that departement itself varies widely,from big flat areas to gently undulating,the climate varying too dependent upon which bit you are in!!! It's almost like asking how long is a piece of string!! You may need to narrow your area down a bit-maybe a few holidays in the different areas?Of course,like everywhere,there is a big difference between seeing somewhere in the middle of summer and then going back in the depth of winter.[ip]

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there. I was interested to read what you said as I'm going to be in a similar situation soon. My husband & I are moving in the New Year to 79 and he will be continuing his work in the uk.  I was wondering what you found most difficult being on your own or have you  found it a breeze!

Regards,

Tracy

hi, i am in poitou charente about 45 mins from la rochelle, have been here over a year, the countryside is lovely and people quite polite, weather is warm in the summer, never really dipped below 30 ,but as i write it's below zero, winters are short and sharp, being near to the coast has it's pluses but i am here with three children, one in school and two under 4, my other half does the trip to the uk for work, which is the real downside as there, i have found, is very little work, language needs top priority. the situation of being apart is not always easy when one works in the uk, as it goes on it does get harder. As i and others may well say, it is lovely here but it is not always a smooth ride, as i am sure you will appreciate.

good luck with everything

monty

We moved here 5 years ago after spending three months in a campervan discovering different areas of France. This area Deux Sevres is hardly the prettiest of regions but the people are friendly and we do have good summers. Winters are generally freeeeeeezzzzzzzziiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnggggggggg! Hence why we have just returned from Nice for our holidays. But so far this winter must be the mildest. We visited the Carcossonne region last year but too much new build for us! We prefer the romanesque villages here.

We run a gite business (as do hundreds of others now) so there are many british here.

bonne chance

www.le-tilleul.com