Certifying copies of Passports & utility bills

Steve_Meribel

Ok then, i've taken people's advice off here and i'm looking to open my first french bank account, and Britline are the favoured option at the moment, mostly as i don't have much more time to mess about at doing this. 

However, i'm unaccustomed to the practice of 'certifying' documents.  I've spoken to my main bank and they say they don't do certifying any more.  (Santander).  So i'm not sure how i go about 'certifying' a copy of my passport or utility bills such that Britline (or any bank) would be happy with it.

I'm even happy to post to the original bills if that helps.

Has anybody got any pearls of wisdom for this?

[quote user="Steve_Meribel"]

Ok then, i've taken people's advice off here and i'm looking to open my first french bank account, and Britline are the favoured option at the moment, mostly as i don't have much more time to mess about at doing this. 

However, i'm unaccustomed to the practice of 'certifying' documents.  I've spoken to my main bank and they say they don't do certifying any more.  (Santander).  So i'm not sure how i go about 'certifying' a copy of my passport or utility bills such that Britline (or any bank) would be happy with it.

I'm even happy to post to the original bills if that helps.

Has anybody got any pearls of wisdom for this?

[/quote]

When we moved to France permanently, we had the usual insurance companies, banks etc to inform of change of address. Most of then said they could only do this with a letter from us containing a certified copy of our passports and a utility bill. I noticed that the wording on the letters actually said 'prefer certified copies'. So no-one got a certified copy - just a printout of a scan - and none of them complained. Suggest you ask Britline if that's what they really want.