terracotta blocks V Concrete blocks

My husband is a builder and we are going to build our house ourselves.

We have noticed in our area, Civray, that houses are constructed using both terracotta blocks or concrete blocks. With the terracotta blocks you seem to be able to get the terracotta lintels, but we have yet to see any concrete ones.Are they available or do you have to cast them yourself?

We were wondering if anybody is knowledgable about these two blocks. What are the advantages /disadvantages, price differences, insulation values, durability and strength, availabilty etc.

We would be interested in any information anyone might have, good or bad, with the comparison of these two blocks.

Regards,

Parpaing Creux 20 cm by 50 cm Euros 92 at Brico Depot  = 9,20 for a square metre of wall.

Brique Alveolaire 30  by 19 Euros 1.68 = 29.47 for a square metre.

However Alveolaire is 29 cm thick and has an R value of 2.20  vesrus Parpaing which is 20 cm and has an R value of 0.22  So you start spending more in insolation. ( source Brico Depot Caralogue

Parpaing has holes for reinforcing rods but there are special blocks for corners and window surronds.

If local builders are using Alveolaire it is likely total cost / speed lower favours ir. There is a Civrey in 18 and one in 86. Might be woirth a trip down to the house Expo at Bordeaux Lac to quiz the turn key companies about what they use and why

In the recent Brico Depot brochure they have

Parpaings          R = 0.22 priced at 0.75 € , 0.90 € and 1.03 €

Brique Alvéolaire R = 2.20 priced at 1.17 € ( 15 x 19 ) and 1.78 €  (30 x 19)

There is a Brico Depot at Poitiers.

They have just built a 2 story house out of these block just down the road from me. I did not see any solid framing being constructed for "load bearing" - just built of these new blocks in the same way a house would be built with bricks. However, I'm just reporting what I saw and I've no personal experience of these things.

Sounds like the price might be coming down, maybe as their use is becoming more widespread ?

Ian

• 2 weeks later...