Years ago we were playing a concert at Roquefort.  We got there around mid-day to set up and there wasn't a soul to be seen.  Everything was closed and we were starving.  We were sitting under the shade of a tree keeping cool when a paysan came out of his house and started talking to us.  He invited us into his 'cave' and set up a table for us. 

I never thought that you could have a fabulous meal with bread and Roquefort cheese - but we did.  It was his own personal recipe.  We finished the whole 'tome' between the 12 of us and I remember how lovely and cool it was in his cellar and the wine that he served us went so well with the absolute delicacy that was the cheese.  I've tried all different labels of Roquefort since that day and I have never found the same taste.

Unbelievable - out of this world.

Got there eventually on Wednesday a.m....what a pristine little 'cabinet' and equally pristine woman who appeared dressed from head to toe in white complete with matching wellies! Cheese did not disappoint and I tasted the 3 different ages from 2 months to 6 months. We had some friends for lunch that day from over the border in Deux Sevres...we all were unanimous in praise and feel that there will be a well worn path to this little farm just up the road. Thanks Jon for your recommendation

A

[quote user="Athene"]You obviously do not shop in Waitrose, they have a lovely selection![/quote]

Well, they haven't got a branch in the Vendée. I used to though - Brent

Cross every Saturday morning. What a hill of fun that was. I will

concede that Waitrose is better than the others. Still, I reckon our

local market knocks the spots of it.

Annie - I am pleased that you liked it. It's good that a small

enterprise like this can produce a small amount of locally produced

product and still have a chance of survival.

I am continually surprised by the number of people who move to France

citing the pace of life here as being a reason for doing so and then

shop nowhere but the supermarket saying that visiting a market takes

too much time....

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Sabina"]

For me it has to be Brebis!

[/quote]

Went to the local annual 'Salon des Gourmands' yesterday.  Usual boring stuff: wine (CdR, Bordeaux, Champagne), ham to die for, snails in just about every edible form you could imagine, patisserie, etc, etc.......... and several cheese stalls.

One was from the Pyrenees and Ossau-Iraty in particular.  The lady was offering the usual little cubes as samples, so no sooner the word than the blow.  One in particular was just like a really 'nutty / salty' vintage Cheddar.  Absolutely delicious.  She said that it was a blend of brebis & chevre and it had a name that began with a 'B' - like a fool, I didn't write it down, but the chances of finding it round here in the future are slim.  Not cheap (€27 / kg), but I bought some: now kicking myself for not taking more. 

Re Neal's Yard Dairy in Covent Garden - yes, it's still there and still doing fabulous British cheeses.

As for the perfect French cheese - for me it has to be Vacherin Mont d'Or. It's just come into season now and will be gone by April. Heavenly as it is, and out of this world when baked to make the world's easiest fondue, only to be indulged in after a day's strenuous skiing. Liquid paradise!

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

Years ago we were playing a concert at Roquefort.  We got there around mid-day to set up and there wasn't a soul to be seen.  Everything was closed and we were starving.  We were sitting under the shade of a tree keeping cool when a paysan came out of his house and started talking to us.  He invited us into his 'cave' and set up a table for us. 

I never thought that you could have a fabulous meal with bread and Roquefort cheese - but we did.  It was his own personal recipe.  We finished the whole 'tome' between the 12 of us and I remember how lovely and cool it was in his cellar and the wine that he served us went so well with the absolute delicacy that was the cheese.  I've tried all different labels of Roquefort since that day and I have never found the same taste.

Unbelievable - out of this world.

[/quote]

Twinkle - I love Roquefort but sadly it doesn't love me or Mr RH (in fact it suits him even less and he likes it even more) and we are far from being the only ones - any other similar cheeses without the after effect ?

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Twinkle - I love Roquefort but sadly it doesn't love me or Mr RH (in fact it suits him even less and he likes it even more) and we are far from being the only ones - any other similar cheeses without the after effect ?

[/quote]

If you're okay with other blues it might be the fact that it's ewe's milk cheese, Gay.