"Special Occasion" Restaurant in Niort

Wonder if that is the Restaurant de la Breche (I seem to recall that the huge square is the Place de la Breche)?

FWIW I did a search for Niort restaurants, and this sounded quite nice, Auberge de la Roussille, overlooking the Sevre.  There are a couple of opinions, if you scroll down.  Don't know if they were written by the chef's friends, of course!

Good luck with finding something.

What about La Rochelle, if Niort fails to turn up something?

Angela

© Cityvox

La Tartine du Pressoir

(7 avis)

2, Rue de la Boule d'Or
79000 Niort
Tel : 05 49 28 20 15
Fax : 05 49 24 84 87

I would recommend this restaurant, they also have another one beginning with M (can not think of it for the moment) but it is just before the small undercover pedestrian walkway not far from a picture framing shop...tres excellent. The ones opposite the car park are good but I would not say special enough.

maria

Wow, Christine!  Doesn't it look great!  That 34E menu has really got the gastric juices flowing...

If Jon's going sooner than summer, he may not be sitting at the water's edge, but it looks as if there's a good log fire as well.

Perhaps we shall all have to have a "West France rendezvous" there sometime!  [:D]

Angela

If not in Niort, you could go a little south to Beauvoir-sur-Niort at the Auberge des Voyageurs. I loved it when I worked there MANY moons ago! It is still the same people running it so the food should be just as good as then these many moons ago..... Don't know if they have a website, could google it I suppose.....

Wowee! La Rousille !... It certainly has changed!.... I remember it for being just a small nothing place which happened to be one of the many schoolbus stops on the way to the CES..... A couple of my friends lived nearby and got on there and that's it !  ... we were gassin' till the return journey... in between lessons that is .... Wonder if they still live around there......

Might like to try the Melane, 1 Place du Temple, Niort, just off the street with the dragon.  We have eaten there on a number of occasions and found the food to be excellent and the atmospher really good.  The telephone number is 05 49 04 00 40

[quote user="Jon"]Looks like I may have to make more than one trip...I've heard rumour of a passable curry house (run by native of Birmingham, I understand, which as everyone knows is the true home of British Curry) in Niort  - does anyone know anything about this?
[/quote]

I wouldn't tell them that in Manchester; Birmingham may be the UK's balti capital but curry - never!

[quote user="KathyC"]

[quote user="Jon"]Looks like I may have to make more than one trip...I've heard rumour of a passable curry house (run by native of Birmingham, I understand, which as everyone knows is the true home of British Curry) in Niort  - does anyone know anything about this?

[/quote]

I wouldn't tell them that in Manchester; Birmingham may be the UK's balti capital but curry - never!

[/quote]

I walk a fine line vis-à-vis curry: my Dear Wife is from Bradford, one Mother Outlaw lives in Dewsbury and the other in Manchester. Birmingham is broadly neutral gound. Actually, and don't tell them I said this, I think the best curries come from around the Brick Lane area of East London but if I ever mentioned this when Up North it would probably be discounted on grounds of my so-called Metropolitan bias. I happen to agree that Manchester produces curries of deep excellence (what's the name of that one street where there are about 850 restos?), but I think it best to steer the middle course and make non-commital but appreciative noises when we go out.

[quote user="Jon"]

I walk a fine line vis-à-vis curry: my Dear Wife is from Bradford, one Mother Outlaw lives in Dewsbury and the other in Manchester. Birmingham is broadly neutral gound. Actually, and don't tell them I said this, I think the best curries come from around the Brick Lane area of East London but if I ever mentioned this when Up North it would probably be discounted on grounds of my so-called Metropolitan bias. I happen to agree that Manchester produces curries of deep excellence (what's the name of that one street where there are about 850 restos?), but I think it best to steer the middle course and make non-commital but appreciative noises when we go out.

[/quote]

Wilmslow Road, Rusholme (although I believe it's gone downhill since I was a student in Manchester) - (but then, haven't we all?).