"Fosse étanche" is a cesspit (the sort that needs frequent emptying); "fosse septique" is a septic tank (that only needs emptying every five years or so, but otherwise digests and filters what you put into it.  Both are usually underground.

We had a cesspit in our first house. It didn't have any sort of outlet pipe (otherwise presumably it would not have been étanche (watertight), so we didn't have to have any vent on it.  Just kept the lid firmly on until emptying day!

A fosse septique would have an outlet pipe though.

Angela

Bloomin' 'eck - once a year?  In the UK we had to empty ours every couple of months to stop it ponging or it just overflowed/leeched over the top - and there are only two of us. It must be enormous if it only fills up every year - is the fact that it is full the problem? Are you able to lift a cover to see where the level is?

• 3 months later...
hello this is my first time on here I am a bit confused about this

fosse empting the people here before us told us that fosses never need

emptying ans after asking all the other brits with a foss they say no

as well

[quote user="fussy"]hello this is my first time on here I am a bit confused about this fosse empting the people here before us told us that fosses never need emptying ans after asking all the other brits with a foss they say no as well
[/quote]The confusion arrises because we were referring to Fosses etanches (Cess Pits) which are enclosed and have no processing involved - you just empty them when they're full.  You probably have a Fosse Septique (Septic Tank)which you probably should have emptied every 10 years or so.  If you don't empty a cess pit - you'll have a driveway/road/whatever full of sh** once it's full - not the case with a septic tank - don't worry!

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Edit - Ooops, Sue beat me to it.  Who'd have thought there was so much interest in sh** [/quote]

LOL, but you quickly develop an interest in it when you acquire a sanitary system the like of which you knew nothing before you arrived in France ...

Sue [:D]

[quote user="Benjamin"]Thank you Spg and Pierre ZFP for that correction. As you'll see from a question I've just asked I'm not very computer technical. [:'(]

[/quote]

That might be true, I don't know, but you are very knowledgeable in other areas.

Sue [:)]